Question on re-curing LR

Phillybean

I had a rock invested with Xenia which I got angry with and took out. I put it in a sealed tupperware container and left it outside since November. Everything is dead now and I want to re-introduce it to the tank.

What is the best way to do this?

Has the rock been in saltwater or dry? Either way I would place it in used saltwater and circulate some water over or through it. You need to make sure that nothing dead is still there to pollute your system or you will have other new problems. I have recharged dead or cleaned rock many times before. Another tip would be to only introduce a few rocks at a time. Don't dump 50 lbs of dead rock into a 75 gallon system. I usually add rocks to the sump and then place them in the display a few weeks later.

Put it in a tub with saltwater, a heater and powerhead until ammonia and nitrite test at 0.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15466080#post15466080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seattleguy
Has the rock been in saltwater or dry? Either way I would place it in used saltwater and circulate some water over or through it. You need to make sure that nothing dead is still there to pollute your system or you will have other new problems. I have recharged dead or cleaned rock many times before. Another tip would be to only introduce a few rocks at a time. Don't dump 50 lbs of dead rock into a 75 gallon system. I usually add rocks to the sump and then place them in the display a few weeks later.

+1 for this. Make sure that it is clean before putting it in.

It's just once piece of rock that has been sitting dry. I currently have it in a bucket of salt water w/o any power heads. Should I add one?

Back