Question to VCoo71 and Captbunzo

True with the ISO. The Canon is better than the Nikon on high ISO according to my reading. I know with my Nikon, over 800 ISO and it's an ugly shot. Looks like someone sneezed multicolored specks all over it. I have really not found a reason to go over 400 yet, other than just playing.
Do a little reading on the mega pixel debate. I've seen some pics from lower MP camera's that are better than high MP cameras. It is my understanding for the best quality, it is the sensor size. The larger sensor size, the better light capture resulting in a better shot.
Your glass is also very important. Don't just get a cheapy lens and expect excellent pics.

i would spend the extra $ on the 100 MM it will give you a lot better working distance......you wont regret it IMO

charlie

Re: Question to VCoo71 and Captbunzo

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9245866#post9245866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happysak
Gentelmen, Help me to make my decision.
Sorry for the slow reply - I actually went to bed early last night (v-day after all :)), and then today I was making travel arrangements for my interview trip to England (woohoo!).

Anyhow, my advice would have been: go play with each at a camera store and decide which one (Nikon or Canon) you like the feel for better. Buy that one.... UNLESS you already have a pile of lenses for one of the 2 from a film SLR camera (then that brand would be the choice). However, I assume that is not the case based on your question...

I am sure you will be happy with the camera you got (a Canon, I believe). Both brands make EXCELLENT and VERY comparable cameras. BOTH can be used to create EXCELLENT pics. Just for the record, I have never ran into ANY lacking of capability with my camera, except features I missed out on by getting a cheaper model (I want a D80 someday).

As for lenses, my best advice can just be based on the lenses I have collected thus forth.

1. Wide-angle Zoom Lens 18-70mm: I don't know the aperature capabilities, but it's pretty standard for a medium cost such lens (a little above basic, but not INSANELY expensive).

2. Telephone Zoom Lens 70-300mm: Same as before about aperature capabilities. I got this one used off of Amazon marketplace for about 2/3 the cost new.

3. 50mm Inexpensive, but good quality fixed length lens. This one is more just to play with as it was REALLY reasonably priced, but is really good glass since it is a fixed length lens. It has a very low aperature, such as F/1.8 or something. I want to work someday on seeing what it is like to NOT be able to zoom. :)

4. Lensbaby 2.0 and lots of accessories - great little lens (you can get them for canon, nikon, etc) that does this great selective focus lens that allows for LOTS of creative pics. Check mine here and the website here. REALLY cool and not horribly expensive.

I mainly use the first two zoom lenses listed above for most of my general purpose picture taking. Those are my "walking around lenses". On my list of DREAM lenses is a $800 Vibrational Reduction Lens that zooms from 18-200mm. It is pretty amazing, but well out of my budget, at the time. :)

Anyhow, I use the 18-70mm lens mostly for all of my reefkeeping pic taking needs. That with a filter noted below...

Now, critical filters.

1. UV Filter: Get a quality UV filter for each lens and keep it on them when you are not using another filter. That'll help protect the lens in case you drop it or something. But do take it off if you slap another lens on for something.

2. Close-up Filter Set: All the pros will scoff at the use of close-up filter sets, but they work DARN well for a GREAT price. I got a slightly nicer quality set by getting a name brand (Hoya), but have had previous success with cheap no-name brands too. Basically these allow move your focal point closer to your lens. This works VERY well and I would classify as critical if you don't want to afford a more expensive macro lens. My kit fits on my 18-70mm lens. You have to fit filters to the diameter of a certain lens.

3. Polarizing Filter: Great for cutting glare on water, etc. Not critical for reefkeeping. But great for general photography needs.

4. Soft Focus Filter: Gives kind of a nice soft glow to everything. Nice for portrait photography. Again, not really all that required for reefkeeping... :)

As for actual lenses, etc. I'd recommend two things.

First, you can get great deals on used lenses sold by places like Adorama, etc. I got a great deal off Amazon marketplace. Just be careful. But don't shrug off used if you need a good deal.

Second, find some websites where folks will review Canon lenses, etc. Read read read, before you buy anything. I'd give you some links, but they'd all be for Nikon lenses. But I am sure you can find LOTS of good reviews.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing some new happy pics posted soon!!!

hey capt bunzo, you like taking pics, but you dont have time to send me the few pics you took of my tank.. you said you would when you got the time , how long does it TAKE..>?..THE time it takes to type this post , its been 3 months.. i think its been plenty of time.. like ill ever get them ..but it dosent really matter..
cuz your to busy..lmao...

scott

I would take either the 60 or 100mm. I would prefer the 100mm but the 60 is a little cheaper.
Be sure and check out the Sigma, Tamron and Konica. The off brands do great work nowdays with technology getting cheaper and cheaper.

I am not a fan of the off-brand lenses, but have absolutely nothing to base that on. In fact, I am certain I am just being a camera snob. :)

But seriously, here are some links for you all.

First, a very nicely balanced Nikon vs. Camera article. Well worth the read.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Second, one of my favorite Nikon gear reviewers apparently also has a bit to say on Canons.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/index.htm

And third, just for the record, this is another of my favorite Nikon reviewers.
http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

in your ist pic posted charly what type of acro is that?it looks like a tenious to me where did you get it from?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9246518#post9246518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Russ Braaten
On the topic of cameras... Why would anyone use the really high ISO settings available now since the photos get so grainy at higher ISO settings.

Hi Russ, take a look at a few reviews on the higher end cameras, such as the Xti and the nikon d80, there really is not a great deal of graininess imparted on the higher iso settings due to the better algorithms these cameras use to filter noise.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258830#post9258830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oddballs
in your ist pic posted charly what type of acro is that?it looks like a tenious to me where did you get it from?

scott

upscale's LE A. exquisita bottle brush
but i dont think they offer frags of it anymore

charlie

Paul

no its the original rebel 300D black model

im wanting the XTI but $$$ hopefully the price will drop a little in time or i will wait for canon to do the rebates again

charlie

Charlie be my teacher, Please.:D
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

and just for Charlie

IMG_0046.jpg

Back