Question

foreverreef

Hey have any of you ever seen a SHIP WRECK in a salt tank? and no i do not mean the bubbling ship stuff like that. I am taking my 538 and aquascaping it with live rock as usual then i have bought a 30" tall ship model made of plastic that i am building and then am going to sink in my tank and let the natural reef grow onto the "ship wreck" like it happens in nature. Now my tank is 9' long 42'"wide and 36"deep so it is not your usual setup.
I am not being cheesey right? I have scuba dove (?) dived (?) all over and been on many man made reefs (ships) and i have never seen one done really cool in a home aquarium. If you have seen one or have a pic of one please post it as i think this could be cool if done right. Anyway let me know what you think, i just think it could be really cool...

Last edited:
i read the entire thread through in the end he took the shipwreck out. I intend to use and entire tall ship in my reef setup. that guy used like a two foot bow of a ship cool idea, just not what i was thinking. I will try to get some pics of mine up. I still think it will be cool

that is a cool tnak in the second thread thanks for that ohiomom! I just don't want anyone thinking i am being cheesey with a ship wreck. I hope i can pull this off and make it look as cool as it does in my head.

i think it would be cool also i had one in a freshwater tank and it looked bad *** i can only imagine it with coral growing all over it.

that is a cool tnak in the second thread thanks for that ohiomom! I just don't want anyone thinking i am being cheesey with a ship wreck. I hope i can pull this off and make it look as cool as it does in my head.

Not being cheesy. Sounds cool, and who cares what every1 else thinks, it's your tank, unless they are funding the setup, to H-E-double hockey sticks with them. Good luck and can't wait to see some pics......
:beer:

PaulB might be a good person to ask he has a thread called the "almost 35 year old reef" he has many found items and such in his tank and may be able to give you an idea..

Although I have wierd things in my tank, I personally would not put in something out of proportion like a ship model. I would however put in something from a ship that is the size it would be on a ship like a pulley, chain, propellor, rope etc. But only if it is the size of the real object.
Of course, thats just me.

^^^^ see that right there is a good suggestion..I would not have thought about scale per say..course I have nothing really different in my tank..;)

If you want to replicate Lake Erie, you could put syringes and tires...:eek:

I like Paul B's point about the parts, that would look pretty cool. I like the prop idea that would look cool sticking out of the rocks.

I have long wanted to add an anchor, but a real anchor with a chain. I want the flukes to be burried in the bottom, so of course I would need to cut them off, and I want a chain coming out of the water. So far I have not found an anchor suitable made out of something that I could add but I never give up.
I want the anchor to be breaking a part of my reef like they do in the sea.
This entire thing would be almost as large as my tank so I would have to build the reef around it.

Budcanandcopperband.jpg

i have thought about scale but the reality of the situation is that my tank is big enough to accomidate the ship i want to do and the coral will eventually row all over it and i think it will look really cool i am going to do it i will get some pics here in a few weeks....

Back