Questions about Cycling 12 Gallon Nano

ssungyo

Just bought a 12g JBJ nano cube dlx w/LEDs and you guys were amazing in answering all of my questions... thanks everyone!

I have one last question for tonight:

So i spent most of the day picking up live rock (about 6lbs) and 20 lbs of live sand.

Put the sand in first then the rock and then the premixed salt water.

threw in some seachem "prime" and then some aqualife "activate.

In the built-in rear filtration chambers i have the first section filled with black sponges...in the second i have ceramic bio rings and activated carbon.

A few hours later, the water is fairly clear and everything is set.

QUESTION:

How long should i wait for my tank to cycle before i start putting in fish and coral?

What should I start with first? a cleaning-crew set?

YOUR RESPONSES ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED AND I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! =)

Sun

here's what it looks like. sorry about the terrible photography. its impossible to get a good shot :hmm3:

I would wait atleast a month. You can try a little damsel or something at 3 week mark. Honestly every tank is different. Keep on your tests and you will know when it's time. Good luck!

The cycle ends when the ammonia and nitrite drop down to zero ending with an increase in nitrate. The cycle is really unique to each tank, so YMMV.

You do not need to run your lights during the cycle

Don't use fish to cycle your tank, Go to your local food store and get a raw shrimp in small tank like that you can cut a couple of small pieces of the shrimp and throw it in the tank this will start your cycle

Test you water at least once a week till ammonia ,nitrate and nitrites are at 0
This should tank about a month like someone said each tank is different

Once all is at 0 you can start adding livestock very slowly.clean up crew then maybe a couple of easy corals like softies or LPS

Take your time it is important good luck and keep reading all you can here and ask before you leap.

You do not need to run your lights during the cycle

Don't use fish to cycle your tank, Go to your local food store and get a raw shrimp in small tank like that you can cut a couple of small pieces of the shrimp and throw it in the tank this will start your cycle

Test you water at least once a week till ammonia ,nitrate and nitrites are at 0
This should tank about a month like someone said each tank is different

Once all is at 0 you can start adding livestock very slowly.clean up crew then maybe a couple of easy corals like softies or LPS

Take your time it is important good luck and keep reading all you can here and ask before you leap.

Its very possible, and also likely, that the nitrates are not going to reach 0. Once your nitrites drop to 0, you'll begin to have nitrate readings. Once they get down to 5 ppm or so, you'll be good to go.

add livestock real slow after your nitrites drop to zero. only add a clean up crew if you have enough food in your tank(algae). zoas are a pretty hardy coral to start with after nitrates are low enough. only put fish that you want to have permanently in there. (damsels can be extremely aggressive in that small of a tank, especially if it's the first fish added.) good luck!

Back