Questions about Eel/Eel and Eel/Fish Compatibility

CONSPICILLUM

Are all pebble-toothed Moray Eels generally considered as compatible with each other and with most fish larger than their mouths?

These would include Zebra, Snowflake, Chainlink, Skeletor Morays and a few others.

Are all fang-toothed Moray Eels generally considered as compatible with each other (though mostly not with any but the largest or most predatory fish) if in a very large tank?

These would include Dragon, Whitespot, Tesselatta, Fimbriated Morays, etc.

I'm wanting to potentially combine multiple pebble-toothed Morays with a large population of Triggers, Puffers, Angels, Butterflies, and Wrasses in a 2150g FOWLR with lots of rockscaping for tunnels, caves, and other territory features.

I'd also like to keep multiple fang-toothed Morays together in a 720g with whatever size and type of fish might be appropriate and compatible.

Thoughts, suggestions, information, warnings? Thanks in advance. :cool:

i currently have a zebra moray and snowflake eel in a 90 gallon. i just got the zebra a few weeks ago and all will be transfered over to my 180 gallon on the 21st of this month. so far they are always in the same hole with both heads sticking out and they look like they are getting along great until feeding time when they kinda nip at whoever currently has the food. nothing serious though. and neither eel are even remotely aggressive towards fish.

i currently have a zebra moray and snowflake eel in a 90 gallon. i just got the zebra a few weeks ago and all will be transfered over to my 180 gallon on the 21st of this month. so far they are always in the same hole with both heads sticking out and they look like they are getting along great until feeding time when they kinda nip at whoever currently has the food. nothing serious though. and neither eel are even remotely aggressive towards fish.

Thanks for the heads-up. Evidently, the crustacean-eating pebbletoothed eels, like the Zebra and Snowflake (and others), are great together and mostly fish-safe.

I've got to wonder how 4-8 piscivorous fangtoothed eels would do long-term if kept together in a 700g. And what tankmates can generally be considered as acceptable by size and species.

Well... I've been offered a decent-sized collection of mostly rare Morays, and they're currently housed in groups of 4 in ~700 gallon tanks.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy them; and I won't put anything else with any of them, at least for a while.

Well... I've been offered a decent-sized collection of mostly rare Morays, and they're currently housed in groups of 4 in ~700 gallon tanks.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy them; and I won't put anything else with any of them, at least for a while.

Cool. There was a guy on here years ago with ~11 dragon morays in a tank. No idea if it worked out long term.

Cool. There was a guy on here years ago with ~11 dragon morays in a tank. No idea if it worked out long term.

Wow. I can't imagine 11 Morays in one tank. This collection is 16, with 4 700g tanks having 4 each. Only one is a Dragon Moray.

Would you buy the tanks also or just the eels?

It's a turn-key all-or-nothing offer with tanks, sumps, skimmers, and all other peripherals.

My current thought is to combine all 16 Morays into a new 2150g single tank, and utilize the four 700g tanks for individual "instant" FOWLR and Reef setups and add monitors and controllers, etc. until all my big systems are finished.

Back