Questions about setting up a QT

gmr7494

Hello.

I'm about ready to purchase new fish but I wanted to set up a QT first. Been researching for a bit, but I'm getting mixed info. Just had a few questions if someone can help:

1.) Do you use newly mixed seawater or water from main tank on initial setup?
2.) One site says all I need is a small tank, heater, and a water agitator such as an air stone or powerhead. Is there anything else I need?
3.) What about live sand and live rock? Do I need to add those?
4.) How often should I change the water?
5.) How long should the QT be?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1) New SW, water from the main tank does nothing but add waste to the tank

2) Use a tank that goes along with the size of the fish you are getting(don't get a 10g if you plan to pick up a huge tang), I'd use some sort of cheap filter and make sure the surface water is moving, PVC to give the fish hiding spots, a light and egg crate cover if you have a fish that could jump.

3) Sand is not necessary, live rock would of course help, but if you need to treat the tank the LR will not be able to go back in the DT because copper absorbs into it and will kill your inverts.

4) Pretty often make sure you clean out the uneaten food and check the ammonia levels frequently.

5) Most people say 4-6 weeks.

Also it helps a lot if you keep a sponge of some sort in your sump or DT to establish some bacteria so whenever you go to set up your QT there will be some bacteria to help reduce ammonia levels.

I'm wondering about this as well.
How often is "pretty often"?
and - what kind of sponge? A kitchen sponge?

Hello.

I'm about ready to purchase new fish but I wanted to set up a QT first. Been researching for a bit, but I'm getting mixed info. Just had a few questions if someone can help:

2.) One site says all I need is a small tank, heater, and a water agitator such as an air stone or powerhead. Is there anything else I need?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are many posts on the subject of QT for new fish. Do a search.

First you should have a good idea about your QT objectives. For me, they are the complete eradication of ich and kindred kinds, allowing fish to develop immunity against external bacterial infection by limiting exposure, treat for macro-parasites like flute, and help fish to eat new prepared food.

I always eradicate ich with eight or more weeks of active treatment.

For the most part, I must have robust nitrification in a QT. The first step is to cycle a filtration medium for use in QT in advance of getting any fish. I use either a power fiilter (HOT power box or canister filter) or I would set up very simple wet-dry filtration for QT.

QT for eight weeks without nitrification will be a lot of work. Generally, QT without nitrification will be unlikely be effective to eradicate ich. Ammonia is very toxic to fish; it is best that you avoid fish exposure to ammonia to the best you can.

I use DT tank water exclusively for qt.
Makes it much easier when it's time to release the critter.(all acclimated)

Well,even a hang on the back filter will work.Just remove carbon if using medications.

You don't want this in the QT incase you have to use meds.PVC pieces/fittings work fine for the fish to hide behind.

You'll have to monitor ammonia as this can rise quickly.But this also depends on the water volume as well.

I observe for 4 weeks.(no treatment)
If something arises and meds need to be used,then 4-6 weeks after treatment and observation.Most QT for at least 8 weeks.

Back