questions for diy LED build on 180

funkejj

I am looking at getting 3 of the 36 led DIY kits from Rapid LED. My first question is would this be enough? I figured the tank has three holes (two braces) for light and I would place 36 leds per hole. I figured 60 degree lenses and the lights will be mounted 13 inches above the water line.

My second question is what would be the best spacing of them and placement of white vs blue leds?

My final question is is the XR-E better than the XP-E or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

I have a 72x30x28 and use three blocks of 24 LEDs 4 inches above the water line and it more than enough light to keep anything I want as it puts out more than a 250W Phoenix. That's without lenses installed.

I got the 4x16 pre-drilled heat sink from rapid and made my life easier.

There's really no point in getting the XRs since the XPs aren't much more and are more efficient.

36 per block with lenses would come out looking pretty good but have a dimmer on them for sure!

I just started running my DIY LED set-up for my 180. I did 5 panels of 24 (XRE) and am essentially killing everything with it (literally). I am probably going to remove one of the panels myself and only run 4x24. Hope that helps. I am running optics on mine.

Can anyone post up pictures of their setup so I can get a idea of what you have before ordering? Thanks,

Jason

I can take pictures of mine but it will over two small tanks because now I am tearing down my 180 to rebuild everything. It will at least give you an idea of the rig.

Back