Questions - Leopard Wrasse in QT

itz frank

Gives Bad Advice.
So, I have a hospital style QT set up with four fish in it. 3 tierra anthias and one leopard wrasse.

QT consists of:
20gal tal
PCV
Powerhead
Heater
Airstone
15gal of SW 1.025sg from display.
Ammonia badge
Small tup of special grade sand from display. Maybe 3/4" of sand.
5gal water change every other day. Prime dosed Every other day.

Anthias are always out. Never hiding. Some aggression from male. Eating like pigs.

Leopard wrasse is eating frozen mysis and will chase food in the current but obviously the anthias are getting most of it.

Fish have been in QT for 8 days. 4 days ago we had our first dose of PraziPro. All ate during this time frame. Second dose is scheduled for Saturday.

Now, my wrasse has been finding nooks to wedge himself into. I find him periodically laying on his side wedged between the floor and a pvc pipe. He does disappear into my sand bed every now and then. This morning I found him wedged half way into the sand with his tail sticking out. He has also had a small section of his tail missing from his rear. It's maybe a 1mm x 1mm piece. It's not progressing.

Yesterday, I was not able to observe him because I was at work all day and he was hidden when I returned at night. I do not think he was able to eat yesterday since I fed once in the morning and one at night. I do not think there is ANY pod population in this tank unless there is still some in the sand bed.

I'm slightly blind to my ammonia badge but it seems to be a shade of yellow which indicates .2ppm or less. Today, I did a 5gal water change.

I've done some reading and googling. This appears to be normal behavior for this wrasse but some point out they only do this while stressed or not able to find sand.

Should I be concerned about his behavior? What is my next step?

IMO, I would get a tubberware bowl and fill it with some sand and put it in the tank. The hard part is over, of getting him to eat, now just need to make him feel comfortable.

IMO, I would get a tubberware bowl and fill it with some sand and put it in the tank. The hard part is over, of getting him to eat, now just need to make him feel comfortable.

There is a small Tupperware container but it's probably 4x4" with 3/4" sand in it. You're suggesting larger? Correct?

What he said. I have a Leopard Wrasse and they NEED sand to burrow into. That is why he is wedging himself.

There is a small Tupperware container but it's probably 4x4" with 3/4" sand in it. You're suggesting larger? Correct?

Yes I think you need a slightly larger bowl and 2 inches of sand in it. Make it easy for him to bury himself in it.

What they said. I have a pair of Blue Star's - my favorite fish I think. Without plenty of sand to hide/sleep in they will never be happy.

Back