Questions on modifying an acrylic tank

I know of an acrylic tank in my area for sale, it was originally setup for fresh water so I would need to modify man it to work with salt, I imagine acrylic would be easier to work with tan glass but I've never worked with it before. I would need to install 2 overflows on the back, drill it, and cut slots for water to drain down into the overflows. It's going to be on a 180, am I getting in over my head or would this be fairly easy to accomplish?

Don't do that, you lose tank space adding those! just use an external overflow box, it works fabulously! Have 2 if your tank is large, and you don't need to worry about messing up the acrylic or cracking it!

If you have tools and basic wood working skills (ever make a table? nightstand or an kind of furniture?) you will be fine. Otherwise satay way from it or pay someone to do it for you.

1) have you considered Bean Animal design? Since you are drilling, you can drill 3 drains and 2 returns. It's the safest, most quiet set up.

2) if you do use BA design, all you need to do is add a coast to coast overflow. Which is basically gluing 2 long pieces of acrylic. No teeth needed. It creates more noise. Instead, round the overflow top so the water can fall at an angle.

I did everything on a 100gal glass tank. First time. It's not too hard with the right tools.

here's all the work needed. Make that overflow and drill holes. Which should be a lot easier on acrylic.

222_zps47810635.jpg

Its easy..

lol easy for you say"¦

personally i would say if you are considering doing an external overflow which by your description you are"¦then i would enlist the help of someone trained to work with acrylic and the solvents necessary to do the job properly"¦otherwise you end up with one very large mess to clean"¦if you have the means to cut and finish fairly big pieces of acrylic properly, and are comfortable applying weldon 3 or 4 (which is like adding water to the surface of the tank that acts like acid should it go where you don't want it, and not have it run all over the tank, all the while keeping it in a very neat tidy space under the 3/4" thick pieces of acrylic you need to secure in place) then give it a whirl"¦oh plus you have to keep everything level plumb and square while manoeuvring and clamping it in place.

if you are going to attempt an internal overflow then you can have at it as it is much easier to accomplish, however you lose valuable space and block precious light...

Thanks for all the responses, I'm thinking a BA overflow may be a good route to go, still haven't decided but should pull the trigger this weekend.

Back