Questions??

cmill4

Hey everybody, just joined today. Used the website a lot for previous answers. But i am new the hobby and had couple stocking questions. First thing i'll do will tell you about my tank.
30 gal
25 lbs LR..35 lbs LS
350 magnum canister and 150 peguin bio-wheel
sea clone 100 protein skimmer
peguin blower-150 gph
50/50 24 watt corallife lighting
I have 1 yellow-tail damsel and 2 a. clowns
6 blue leg hermitts, 2 turbo snails

My tank has been running for about a 4 weeks now and my water has been tested 2 times each week and everything is going good.

The question i have for you guy is i really want a blue hippo. I have read many articles online and they all seem to be different. Ive read they need a minimum of 30 gallons to 75 gallons. So i am wondering can i put one of these guys in my tank. I have plenty of open swimming room and many hiding places (requirement i have read). so i hope you guys and gals can help!!
Thanks,
Chase

Last edited:
welcome.

your filtration will be fine for a fish only tank but if you want to start keeping corals other than the basic mushrooms you should ditch the canister and penguin and install a sump.

Blue hippo tangs are completely inappropriate for a tank that size. They can get up to 1 1/2 feet long and need a lot of swimming room to stay healthy. There are many many other beautiful fish that are much better suited to a tank that size.

First off welcome to RC!

IMO I would not subject a Hippo Tang to a 30 gal. aquarium. They need a lot of swimming room (120 gal. or bigger).

What are your parameters on your tank? Will it be a FOWLR or reef tank?

[welcome]
IMHO i would really upgrade to a min. of a 75 gal. tank or a 125gal. would be better first as these fish will get about a foot long. the marine fishes book by scott w. michael is a great book and will give you the best options when it comes to tank size and requirements to over 500+ fish.

a 30 gal. tank is just to small for any tang.

ok guys thanks, I kind of thought my tank was to small for any tang but as i said some of the stuff i was finding was contradicting each other and i just wanted to get some real opinions. But i get the Blue Hippo out of my mind. What would be some good recommendations then? I just want some color to be honest with you. i've thought about the royal gamma and dwarf angel??

Stinks huh... the tang question is always a rough one... I just built a 90g tank and still can probably only house 1 tang comfortably. :(

One thing I will tell you is that you have enough LR and sand to ditch your biowheel, and run carbon (for clear water) through your canister filter.

Since you don't have a sump, I'm guessing you have a lot of stuff hanging off your tank which will also cut down on swim room for future inhabitants.

I won't address the SeaClone... It brings back to many bad memories.

Good luck... looks like your off to a decent start... ;)

sorry forgot some things I intend to just keep my tank a FOWLR for now and stray away from corals even though they are beautiful specimens.

30g...

clownfish
chromis
cardinals
small wrasses
flame angel
cleaner shrimp
gobies... avoid dragonets for a while

Royal gramma would be ok, but you really ought to remove that damsel. They are terrors. If I were you I'd look into some bottom or rock hopping dwelling fish like gobies (not a mandarin) or blennies. It will help "balance" the activity in the tank. Too many swimmers in a small tank causes territory problems and looks too crowded to my eye.

I've thought about that with the damsel because i had two at one time and one was a little bigger than the other and then one day it turned on the smaller one and beat the living crap out of him. I returned the aggressive fish and and kept the beat up one because the LFS wouldnt take him back but right now he is making a full recovery and hasnt given the clowns any problems

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12237528#post12237528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
30g...

clownfish
chromis
cardinals
small wrasses
flame angel
cleaner shrimp
gobies... avoid dragonets for a while

As far as the small wrasses mentioned ealier, a sixline wrasse is a good choice. I have one and like the colors, mine is red, blue, orange body, green & yellow tail.

Back