Quick "flashing" Question

Ambition

I am in love with wrasses for the most part, and doing the best I can with a tighter budget than most other wrasse junkies on here. Preferring the harem over random pairs, trios, and singles, I am sticking with a harem of a small fairy or flasher wrasses.

Filling in other spots on the stock list some wrasses outside the fairy and flasher realm are tempting. I am specifically looking at H. chrysus, H. iridis, and H. claudia. Will having one or pair of the species listed prevent me from witnessing any nuptial displays from the harem or fairy or flasher wrasses that I choose? In a 120 gallon tank BTW.

FYI every pair of fairy wrasse that I have had turned into two males and became a problem. I cant say about flashers as I have never kept multiples (they still flash). With halichoeres my experience is that they kind of do their own thing and shouldn't affect your flashers much. It is possible that multiple halichoeres will fight with each other and cause the flashers to be nervous. All you need is one problem child and it can upset the whole tank.

My bad in the OP. I meant it to be a single or pair of ONE of the listed wrasses. As for keeping multiple fairy or flasher wrasses, I am wanting to get an experience for it. Not to be stubborn, but just to see if keeping the temp. lower plays a role in it, or something else in the tank will do it. Leaning more towards flashers, the smaller fairies that I would like are out of my price range for now.

FYI every pair of fairy wrasse that I have had turned into two males and became a problem. I cant say about flashers as I have never kept multiples (they still flash). With halichoeres my experience is that they kind of do their own thing and shouldn't affect your flashers much. It is possible that multiple halichoeres will fight with each other and cause the flashers to be nervous. All you need is one problem child and it can upset the whole tank.

Nice red head wrasse :)

From our experience, as others have said, pairs or multiples of the same flasher or fairy wrasse species eventually ends in all males. Some same-species males co-exist well together, others not so much. While there are certain species that are naturally more aggressive than others, they all have their own distinct personalities and may or may not play well together in the end.

As far as temperature goes, our average tank temp is 75.5 F. Although we have steered clear of most of the fairy wrasses that are known to be more aggressive, we have at times had to remove "a problem child" for a period of time to establish a new pecking order amongst our wrasses and alleviate aggression. HTH

Back