Quick question on the mechanism of growth of frogspawn. (pic included)

cab395

Hello again, everyone! I just had a quick question about how I can expect my frogspawn to grow. I know that they grow new heads and thus grow larger as a colony, but I was wondering why in mature frogspawn colonies, you cannot really see the mouth of each head when the polyps are fully extended. On mine, which is only two heads at the moment, the mouths can be clearly seen even when all of the tentacles or polyps are extended.

Do the polyps grow larger, or will the current head branch off more or grow more tentacles? Or will new heads growing add more tentacles close by that increases the tentacle density and thus obscure the mouth from view? Thanks! For good measure, here's a pic of my frogspawn with one of its mouths visible.

4tomzb.jpg

First off how full the tenticles are varies and is influenced by light intensity and waterflow (and probably variant). I've seen three different asexual reproductive modes in the branching Euphyllia spp. The most common is splitting (fission) where you will see the mouth split and as the two new polyps develop it will have an oval shape then figure 8 shape before completely seperating. Second is juvinile polyps will form around around the base of a mature polyp that start off less than 1/8" dia ("budding"). The third a piece of skeleton will form inside a polyp seperate from it's main skeleton and then seperate (sometimes called "polyp bailout").

Thank you! I noticed little buds coming off of the stem, but I was unaware that the heads actually split. That must be how they become more dense? Thanks again.

Back