Quick Questions for Kaitlyn, Adam, Paul or any RBTA owner

Stealth91RT

So i recently bought Kaitlyns split from her RBTA and as I know she got it from Adam and I think she said he got it from Paul back in the day. The Anem looks great and the color is amazing under my t-5's but this morning i found two small stray tenticals lying on the sand bed they dont look like they are dying they just look like the anem dropped them. So here go the questions.

1- Is this normal and do I need to be worried?

2-Just added a phosban reactor could this be a reaction to better water quality?

A lil bit of background to help. Drip alccimated him and he never showed and signs of any stress. I've been feeding it one peice of dime sized garlic soaked raw shrimp every day. Have yet to see any fish go near it or try to nip at it (not even my clowns). It seems like the tenticals have been bubbling up latley and not as long and stringy as they where when I first put it in my tank.

Thanks -Rich

sometimes anemone deflate to exspell all the water, kind of like its taking a crap, soon it should get back to shape

the tentacles come from the fact that often the waterflow makes them twist, ultimately they strangle themselves and the tips fall off. I have seen that several times in the past with mine.
I hoped they would survive, but they dont. the tips just die. The anemone is fine tho.

Yeah it hasn't done that yet, I'm waiting though as much as I feed it.

This was just like it randomly dropped two small tentacles off of the actual anemone overnight, they still look alive and are moving around on the sand. The anemone is still inflated and looking great. If I didn't know better it looks like some one took a knife and cut off two tentacles where they meet with the base of the anemone. Kinda weird

I have had mine get to close to power-heads and have 1/4 of the anemone tentacles skinned at floating all over the tank. As Paul said, it should recover quite well. It is almost impossible to kill these things! =)

sorry i'm so late. Mine has lost some tentacles before; it just depends on how it's inflated as to when they'll strangle off as paul said. Unlike you, though, i never saw the discarded ones, I just assumed something at them overnight or it disintigrated. *shrug* It'll be fine though. They grow right back in a matter of days. Glad to know it's still doing fine--and bubbling up a bit, it seems. Mine is still growing like a weed and right back to stretching and bothering my coral. >: (

Yeah I had to do some rearranging of some coral but nothing major. It was just kinda weird to see two single tentacles moving around on the sand by themselves.

Mines not doing as well, he went downhill along with my tank crash but he's pulling through still, just a testament to their hardiness I guess. Lost almost all my corals but he's pulling through. I've never noticed mine losing tenticles personally but he's always stuck with lower flow area's in the tank. I got the best look from mine when he was fed mysis shrimp almost daily, every couple days at the most. From what I've heard recently, mysis is more naturally sized proportions than larger shrimp, silversides and stuff like that, as far as bubble tips are concerned. My split like crazy on the mysis but stopped altogether when I started feeding silversides. I'm now back to mysis and small chunks of krill again.

Thanks for the tips Adam, It seems like he has been growing bigger everyday. One of my clowns has started hosting him last night, now I'm waiting to see if he will teach the other one. Hope your anemone pulls through and regains all it's health along with the rest of your tank.

I try and post some update pics later today ;)

If ya want him nice and big, feed em often., I had mine fed every single day for quite some time. It's pretty darn obvious if they arn't wanting food, they just don't grab ahoold, but I like to try and feed mine as much as possible. Makes em grow a little quicker. But I will say this, don't confuse him not wanting to eat with him spitting up a large amount of "uneaten" foods. Anemone's get around 10% of their nutrition from actually eating stuff but they only use maybe 10% of what they eat, so alot will be spit back out and wasted, their also quite messy when "relieving" themselves, so when you see a nasty little clump from it, pull that out of the tank if nothing else is jumping at the opportunity to eat it (my nassarius would nip at that crap, kinda gross, but to each his own, lol) Please don't quote me on those numbers, I"m confident in the 10% of nutrition from eating, but I forget the exact amount of eaten food they actually consume. Dr. Shimek told me last year at Crase but I slept since then.

anemone.jpg

ooooooooooooooo.... very pretty! and your clown looks happy. It's my turn to see your tank in person. (make some more of those eggrolls.. mmm)

Sounds good, I will talk to Mel tonight about it and depending on how she feels about making them we might be able to do it this weekend some time. Maybe before the next meeting since you guys should be up this way anyways, but i'll let ya know what she says.

Back