Quietest External pump

Johnic

Premium Member
I currently have a Iwaki 70 Jap version and its 2 years old and I would like to buy an extra pump in case this one burns out....whats a real quiet pump equivalant in GPH as the iwaki 70

Unfortunately for a pump to be more quiet it has to run at 1800 rpm (versus 3600 rpm of the Iwaki) but at those slower RPM the pump will have about half the head pressure and about twice the size and more likely will require a larger diameter discharge pipe and will most likely be a shaft driven (rather than mag drive) with all the associated seal leak issues.
If you have not done so try mounting the Iwaki on a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood base and under the base a thick rubber pads (like the ones used as kids floats in swimming pools or those kneeling pads used for gardening). Also use flexible hose (the more flexible the better like spaflex corrugated) at the inlet and outlet of the pump this will reduce all noise due to transferred vibration so the real noise left will be the pump fan and the water moving inside.

The only REALLY quiet external I've seen are the Velocity/Posiedon T4/S4. You're down to 1200gph and about 20ft of head height though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7530655#post7530655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newnano
im new huge fan of the sequence snapper. 2400gph. no heat like the t4 and very quiet

Thats not a pressure rated pump though, its a flow pump.

The Posiedon T4 pump is the quietest external pump out there. Its so quiet that you have to put your hand on it to tell that its working. The downside to it is it will add heat to your tank, add because of the heat in it you get calcium built up in it.

Rich

Back