Quietest PC Fan

Henry Bowman

Reefing since '87
I'm going to change out fans over my tank. They've been great at cooling, just a bit noisy. I'm using 2ea small CPU type fans over a 12gl nano. They sound like little wind storms. They don't come on that often.

Wanting to change to a larger, more silent fan?

Anybody have any suggestions?

TIA

HB

A single 120mm fan would be all you need. Larger fans can spin much slower while still moving a lot of air. Get one with speed control so it can be as quiet as you want. Here is a huge list of fans.

I'm going to change out fans over my tank. They've been great at cooling, just a bit noisy. I'm using 2ea small CPU type fans over a 12gl nano. They sound like little wind storms. They don't come on that often.

Wanting to change to a larger, more silent fan?

Anybody have any suggestions?

TIA

HB

Noctua fans, are about the quietest I have found. A few bucks for em, but they are worth it.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=5&lng=en

Jim

Thermaltake, OCZ has a few that are worth a damn, Coolermaster, Enermax and Lian Li.

In every single HTPC or custom setup I've done for Home Theaters, I use these. Overtime they get loud and these companies (a few share the same parts / designs) they last and stay the quietest - the longest.

Thanks folks.

The Noctua's that Uncle listed have some of the lowest listed dba ratings available. I just ordered one and will report back.

Thanks Again.

Please do.

I have experience with their Phase Change / Heatsink products (fans come too) for small form factor PC's and 1U builds, I was less than thrilled. Especially for the money. Some seem to love their products though. So definitely keep us updated if you can.

Check this site out: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g36/Fans.html?id=zo9PZ4Bh

I have done a lot of business with them in the past, and have yet to be disappointed. I have used a few different brands, the ones I've used that have been the quietest while still putting out good cfm have been SilenX and Yate Loon. I did have an issue with one SilenX fan once when a bearing blew, but all it did was make a whining noise, and didn't effect performance, and company RMA'd free of charge.

I don't think Frozen CPU has any 120 Yate Loon's but this site does: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_49&sort=20a&page=4

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have 4 or 5 Yate Loon's in my desktop running all out and it makes almost no noise.

Last edited:
What is the best location for fans? I am in the process of installing fans but I am not sure how I should set them up. My canopy has an opening in the back. Dimensions are 60 inches long and about 20 wide. Thanks.

I used frozencpu.com to buy Silenx fans. Replaced all the fans in my current usa t-5 fixture, which I bought new, and kind of peeved me that I had to replace the jet engine sounding fans which were stock. I used silenx fans. When the light runs now, you can't hear anything from the fixture, it's dead silent. I used 18 CFM units, blow alot of air and the fixture stays cool with no noise.

Those noctua fans are meant to be very quiet.
I have one in my dads computer.
They come with rubber feet to absorb vibration on case, and adapter with resistor, to drop voltage.

I was going to say, get a fan with double ball bearing.
Then run it at a lower voltage, instead of 12v.
That is usual trick.

I have mine running off a 9v plug pack.

I just started using the 120mm Noctua's that Uncle recommened,awesome product,very quiet,well built,well worth the price,which I didn't even think was pricey

Back