Radion Fans - Why 24/7?

themk2

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows why Radion fans stay on 24/7, even when the lights are off?

Surely there's nothing to cool when the LEDs are off, and all other LED units I know of have their fans go off when the LEDs do.

Cheers!:confused:

Completely agree with you. It's a waste of energy for the many hours my Radions are off each night.

That design point is one of the reasons I have an Apex controlling my Radions. I have my Apex physically turn on the Radion outlets 3 minutes prior to starting the first lighting profile each morning; then when the lights go out, I allow an additional 30-minute "fan only" cool-down period before taking power away from the Radions. My Neptune 3-single-LED moonlight string takes over duty when the Radions are off.

I have my Apex physically turn on the Radion outlets 3 minutes prior to starting the first lighting profile each morning; then when the lights go out, I allow an additional 30-minute "fan only" cool-down period before taking power away from the Radions.

Does the Apex physically cut all power to it? Effectively just as a timer plug would do?

I was thinking of putting it through a timer plug, but I was worried it'd forget it's profile or the time whilst it's off?

Does the Apex physically cut all power to it? Effectively just as a timer plug would do?

I was thinking of putting it through a timer plug, but I was worried it'd forget it's profile or the time whilst it's off?

Yes, after setting the profile to have "0 light intensity", a few minutes later the Apex turns physical power off to the outlets. I don't loose anything as all the "smarts" and what profile to run is contained in the Apex that sends to it's WXM module that in turn communicates wirelessly with the Radions. When the Radions regain power, they reestablish that connection and take off when commanded.

I do not know in a non-Apex environment that it sounds like you have, what will happen to the programming... I'll have to leave it to your research or another poster to respond based on the method you are using to control your LEDs. Good luck!

I have been told that the fans run 24/7 to keep moisture from building up inside the fixture.

The fans pull air through the fixture, either through the fan grate, and out the vents, or vice-versa. When the fans are on, the heat from the LEDs keep the components dry. When the lights are off, the fans continue to pull moist air through the fixture. That moist air is in constant contact with the components.

Thanks Aleithol. I'll have a go with it and see what happens. If it doesn't work on a timer plug, I have my profile saved anyway!

I have an acrylic lid over the tank so the moisture in the fixture will only be what is in the room.

Thanks!

The fans pull air through the fixture, either through the fan grate, and out the vents, or vice-versa. When the fans are on, the heat from the LEDs keep the components dry. When the lights are off, the fans continue to pull moist air through the fixture. That moist air is in constant contact with the components.

The components are completely sealed off from the heatsink and fan... I just took mine apart yesterday to change out lenses and it was clean as a whistle.

Just an FYI from Ecotech "the fan is designed to run constantly (at variable speeds based on temperature) to avoid overheating and/or dust settling within the fixture." Not my words but I'm going to take the engineers advice...

Back