Radion G4 HEI Optics (Light Dispersing Domes) -- First step in true LED breakthrough

There is a chance you will need more than one on a 24" tank. I had to add a second hydra52 after a year to deal with shading. From what I have seen neither the Radions or the Hydras cover 24" in the short axis, especially if you have any kind of steepness in your scape..

I agree it could be and I certainly remember your glorious tank -- But I don't think it's completely necessary, I think shading is better combatted by supplemental LED's at an angle.

- In the back at an angle like a back slash /

- In the front at an angle like a forward slash \

The issue with shading is people keep trying to take a light source which is nearly 100% on the Y (vertical) axis and have it apply to the X (horizontal) axis -- Basically, force it to do something it's not good at doing. When tilting the light will give you what you desire while allowing the LED's to function as intended.

There's a member here (Silef, I think) who has a beautiful SPS dominated tank lit by Kessils only. He achieves this growth by doing what I had said A row of Kessils in the front facing the back (4) and a row of kessils in the back facing forward (4). I achieves this with 8 Kessils on an 8' tank.

That's a pretty insightful comment that is likely very true and not often realized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent part of my career in manufacturing. The cost of new tooling is always a consideration when making a change to a product. It is one of those things end users do not think about.

I agree it could be and I certainly remember your glorious tank -- But I don't think it's completely necessary, I think shading is better combatted by supplemental LED's at an angle.

- In the back at an angle like a back slash /

- In the front at an angle like a forward slash \

The issue with shading is people keep trying to take a light source which is nearly 100% on the Y (vertical) axis and have it apply to the X (horizontal) axis -- Basically, force it to do something it's not good at doing. When tilting the light will give you what you desire while allowing the LED's to function as intended.

There's a member here (Silef, I think) who has a beautiful SPS dominated tank lit by Kessils only. He achieves this growth by doing what I had said A row of Kessils in the front facing the back (4) and a row of kessils in the back facing forward (4). I achieves this with 8 Kessils on an 8' tank.

I suspect that approach would work and have toyed with trying it myself. Does not change my statement of needing more units than the manufacturer recommends.

I suspect that approach would work and have toyed with trying it myself. Does not change my statement of needing more units than the manufacturer recommends.

Yep, I agree with that. The small caveat on my POV would be a $100 RapidLED supplemental LED kit vs an additional $650 radion is quite a difference in overall price!

Of course, we both know that radion would smoke the supplemental LED.

I would think instead of LED's being pointed down directly, Why not point them up and use a special diamond type of reflector to create the spread bouncing it back down in to the tank. This would eliminate the laser hot spot and shadowing but you would need to used higher wattage LEDS.
In general LEDs are getting up there in wattage close to MH's and T5's so savings is not that big anymore on light except for replacement bulbs but for most the biggest turn off on MH's and T5's is heat and chiller use, AC use.

I would think instead of LED's being pointed down directly, Why not point them up and use a special diamond type of reflector to create the spread bouncing it back down in to the tank. This would eliminate the laser hot spot and shadowing but you would need to used higher wattage LEDS.
In general LEDs are getting up there in wattage close to MH's and T5's so savings is not that big anymore on light except for replacement bulbs but for most the biggest turn off on MH's and T5's is heat and chiller use, AC use.

You'd likely be using more power than your MH/t5 units.
Savings is already next to nothing when it comes to power usage.

A reflector make since for mh and t-5 since they are tubes that radiate light 360 degrees. The reflectors catch and redirect light that would be wasted. LED's produce light as a hemisphere. To use a reflector you would have to purposely send light the wrong way. Seems inefficient to me.

Funny how Philips releases a light that is considerably better engineered than the Radions and people all rip it to shreds. Then this G4 comes along and it's the best thing ever. And please don't try to argue that the Radion G4 comes even close to the CoralCare. The Luxeon UV diodes on the coralcare alone cost as much as the diodes on one G4 puck. Then let's not forget the Philips is passively cooled and waterproof. Pure overpriced garbage.

A reflector make since for mh and t-5 since they are tubes that radiate light 360 degrees. The reflectors catch and redirect light that would be wasted. LED's produce light as a hemisphere. To use a reflector you would have to purposely send light the wrong way. Seems inefficient to me.

LED reflectors exist. They are used in German fixtures and also the AP700. The even spread they produce can rival MH.

Radion G4 HEI Optics (Light Dispersing Domes) -- First step in true LED breakthrough

The a19 LED light bulb I use for my kitchen does not produce a disco effect. Why the same setup cannot be used for an aquarium fixture coupled with a big mh reflector?

And the kitchen light fixture mount the light bulbs sideways but it's pretty bright under the fixture.

Why? I don't think they are. Especially if you consider fixtures available in Europe.

That I must concede, as I do not know fixtures from Europe. Although here I have an easier time finding quality tanks lit by radions than other LED fixtures.

I am curious, what's available in the EU (England too) that isn't here in the states? I'd like to know what were missing out on

Why spilling light is such an important matter for some?
In that case, try laser.

No need. Just cover the footprint of your tank in light and mask it with a canopy. I have t5 tubes spanning every square inch of my tanks footprint. 12" off the water, completely shielded by a canopy so there is neither any spill, nor any coverage deficiency. If you don't mind light spill that's fantastic. It's important to others. Just like automated ramping and color changes on the fly are a must for some, and for others that is actually a setback

I don't get the hatred for the product. Ecotech does make good products all around. I see people really bashing them but other than a select few companies really there is no one compatible. Do LED lights not work? What is everyone's issue?

I took issue with the light spill but it's a complain I have about all aquarium lights honestly. Just the nature of the beast. Light that spreads in the tank will spread in the room. No matter what the tech. Otherwise I think it's a great product. But...one thing you can really observe on this forum and many is that any time a new product comes out, there will be an army of nay sayers, basically burning the product and company at the stake for daring to try anything other than what the previous generation offered. It's just expected. Especially bad about the Philips light just released. That thing isn't even available state side, but dozens of people on the thread had ALOT of negative things to say about it

I took issue with the light spill but it's a complain I have about all aquarium lights honestly. Just the nature of the beast. Light that spreads in the tank will spread in the room. No matter what the tech. Otherwise I think it's a great product. But...one thing you can really observe on this forum and many is that any time a new product comes out, there will be an army of nay sayers, basically burning the product and company at the stake for daring to try anything other than what the previous generation offered. It's just expected. Especially bad about the Philips light just released. That thing isn't even available state side, but dozens of people on the thread had ALOT of negative things to say about it

Exactly yet if you check out the European forums and pictures of the Coralcare it is quite incredible how the thing looks like a t5 is lighting the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back