Radion Gen 2 and Coral Growth

oshanickreef

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see what other people are experiencing with their Gen 2 Radions. I have had them for about a week and I have noticed a few corals bleaching so they are down on the bottom. i have my lights at 60%... I have not noticed much growth but then again it has only been a week...

Opinions??

thanks,

nick

I had mine for a couple on months over my tank and things were either going downhill or nowhere; no growth, dying, losing color. I had bought the Radions when I set up the tank, so I didn't switch lighting or anything to cause the issues. Corals were coming in looking good and slowly falling apart.

Switched to a 8x54w T5 system 4 weeks ago. Color is better, things that were dying are coming back, growth on corals that had been stagnant for months. I can't say it was only the LEDs that were causing issues, but that was the only thing that I changed recently.

Pretty sure starting them at 60% is WAY too high. You will fry all your corals most likely. I haven't got around to setting mine up yet but from what I've read most people don't even get up to 60% after they've acclimated their corals over many weeks.

I agree with Myst...I started my Radion Gen 1 in Natural mode at 30%. I'm currently up to 60% with the TIR lens upgrade - a year and a half later! I've gotten excellent growth with my Montipora sp., Palys, 2 T. Maximas, etc. Give me a moment and I'll dig up a pic at start and a recent one......

March 2012 comparison to now...

March 2012 comparison to now...

Not the best quality pics...sorry. Note the M. undata at the bottom in the top pic placed up high and doubled in size in the bottom pic. Also the branching type Montipora has grown quite a bit. The brown Palys in the pic are now up to 10 heads.

i have had my radions set at 60% and that's my max intensity.

Starting out your corals on 60% intensity is the reason they bleached, you have to slowly acclimate them to the lights. Ecosmart Live has a nice acclimation tool along with many other configuration features.

I run my gen1/tir radions at 45% for a softy/lps tank, and I'm still careful to start stuff down on the bottom towards the end of the tank where the light is dim.

Go slow unless they came from similar lighting!

Back