Radion leds lifespan

mling

I am thinking of buying a used set of Radion, 4 years old. What is the estimated lifespan of these lights?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

They are supposedly rated for 50,000hrs, but that is under perfect conditions. Much will depend on how much power you put through them and how effectively they are cooled.

That being said, I have a pair of AI Sol Blues that are still going strong after ~10 years. My XR30 G4 pros have been going great for at least 3 years now. I don't push them past 70%, so I expect them to last quite some time.

They are supposedly rated for 50,000hrs, but that is under perfect conditions. Much will depend on how much power you put through them and how effectively they are cooled.

That being said, I have a pair of AI Sol Blues that are still going strong after ~10 years. My XR30 G4 pros have been going great for at least 3 years now. I don't push them past 70%, so I expect them to last quite some time.

[MENTION=188122]billdogg[/MENTION] seeing that you have used both. Will you recommend one vs the other?

I am in the fence to change my T5 as the electric bill is killing me in PR. Also waiting for the Neptune SKY in order to make a decision.

I appreciate your advise.

I think both are very good lights. I haven't really looked at AI's newest offerings so I can't really say one way or the other which is now better. I really like the radions but until I hooked them up I'd have told you that the AI's couldn't be beat.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that!

As for the electric usage - I had been using T12VHO before the LED's and there was a drop in my electric bill due in part to their using less power, and to the fact that they just don't put off so much heat.

I wouldn't even consider switching to anything else at this point.

I think both are very good lights. I haven't really looked at AI's newest offerings so I can't really say one way or the other which is now better. I really like the radions but until I hooked them up I'd have told you that the AI's couldn't be beat.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that!

As for the electric usage - I had been using T12VHO before the LED's and there was a drop in my electric bill due in part to their using less power, and to the fact that they just don't put off so much heat.

I wouldn't even consider switching to anything else at this point.

Very appreciated. Thanks...

From what I've seen, the Radions beat out the AI lights...but the margin is narrow unless you bring the G5s into the discussion.

Both grow coral, both provide great color. The Radions have a little less disco ball effect and produce more PAR, but difference isn't a deal breaker. I've almost always liked MH and T5 over LED, but the Radion G4's reduced disco effect is enough to look past for the advantages of LEDs. That said, I'd probably take a good deal on some AI lights over an okay deal on Radion lights if I was shopping used.

Last note...Give the Radion G5s some thought. The disco ball effect is almost gone, the color blending is great, PAR is excellent, and the price is a kick in the junk. I closed my eyes, clenched my teeth and got over the kick. I have a XR15 Pro over my 60g cube and it's awesome. I threw their diffuser panel over it recently and it's just about perfect. I still think an LED and T5 combo is the way to go, but the G5 Radions get you really close. The G4s are just a little behind, and the AI lights are only a little behind the G4s.

That's a long way of saying: I'd buy G4s over AI if the price is right. I'd buy AIs over G4s if the AI deal is really good. G5 Radions look better than both, but lighting a big tank might require you to start selling plasma to cover the cost. All of them will grow coral in your tank.

G5 Radions look better than both, but lighting a big tank might require you to start selling plasma to cover the cost. All of them will grow coral in your tank.

I'd suggest lining up a bunch of plasma donors - it'll take too long to save up using only your own, and the G6 will undoubtedly be released by then, so you'd need even more plasma........

From what I've seen, the Radions beat out the AI lights...but the margin is narrow unless you bring the G5s into the discussion.

Both grow coral, both provide great color. The Radions have a little less disco ball effect and produce more PAR, but difference isn't a deal breaker. I've almost always liked MH and T5 over LED, but the Radion G4's reduced disco effect is enough to look past for the advantages of LEDs. That said, I'd probably take a good deal on some AI lights over an okay deal on Radion lights if I was shopping used.

Last note...Give the Radion G5s some thought. The disco ball effect is almost gone, the color blending is great, PAR is excellent, and the price is a kick in the junk. I closed my eyes, clenched my teeth and got over the kick. I have a XR15 Pro over my 60g cube and it's awesome. I threw their diffuser panel over it recently and it's just about perfect. I still think an LED and T5 combo is the way to go, but the G5 Radions get you really close. The G4s are just a little behind, and the AI lights are only a little behind the G4s.

That's a long way of saying: I'd buy G4s over AI if the price is right. I'd buy AIs over G4s if the AI deal is really good. G5 Radions look better than both, but lighting a big tank might require you to start selling plasma to cover the cost. All of them will grow coral in your tank.

[MENTION=178112]cody6766[/MENTION] Thanks for the great explanation and suggestions.

I have never had Led's as i am old school (Jajajajajajaj) and i am really satisfied with my ATI T5 and 2 Reef Brites over my tank. My only problem is that the electricity bill overhere in PR is just to much. I pay around $300.00 monthly and after a lot of monitoring my house consume i insolated that is the lights. It is consuming when the 6 bulbs turns on 7 amps / .84 kilowatts and that is around 840 watts for 6 hours on only. While the lights are Off the tank consumes 1.5amp measured by the APEX.

Looking around seems that i am going to need 3 Radions over my tank and for sure it is a lot but if i multiply the electricity monthly payment i should reduce that bill dramatically. Thoughts???

Here is a pic of my tank for reference....Not the best but you have an idea.

Attachments

• 20210329_171312_HDR_resized.jpg
    20210329_171312_HDR_resized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
You may actually want to go with multiple XR15s instead of XR30s. The cost will be similar, but not exactly the same. As for the electricity bill, you'll have to do some math there. The G5 XR30 is 180w at full power. It looks like 3 XR30s will pull the same juice you're pulling from your T5s. That may be a little less given ballast efficiency, but it tells me that the energy savings isn't crazy. It would be different if you were running a lot of metal halide, but T5s don't pull too much juice.
You're also saving on bulb replacement, but I always saw that as a bandaid to be pulled off every year. It was never enough to make me change lights.

I think your return on investment will be low, but you'll be happy overall. Also, you won't need to run them at 100%. I keep mine at 80%, but only because I like the extra light in the tank. I think it would grow what I need at a lower output level, even in a 24" deep tank.

You may actually want to go with multiple XR15s instead of XR30s. The cost will be similar, but not exactly the same. As for the electricity bill, you'll have to do some math there. The G5 XR30 is 180w at full power. It looks like 3 XR30s will pull the same juice you're pulling from your T5s. That may be a little less given ballast efficiency, but it tells me that the energy savings isn't crazy. It would be different if you were running a lot of metal halide, but T5s don't pull too much juice.
You're also saving on bulb replacement, but I always saw that as a bandaid to be pulled off every year. It was never enough to make me change lights.

I think your return on investment will be low, but you'll be happy overall. Also, you won't need to run them at 100%. I keep mine at 80%, but only because I like the extra light in the tank. I think it would grow what I need at a lower output level, even in a 24" deep tank.

Thanks [MENTION=178112]cody6766[/MENTION]... Valid points there to consider.

Appreciated.

I looked at this and it kind of read like a push for LEDs, even though the electrical savings aren't huge. I should clarify by saying that I'm no LED fan boy. Honestly, T5s and MH are my favorite...possibly usurped by T5s and LEDs, but only for color.

T5s and MH seemed to flood the tank with light, encouraging growth on the underside of branches and in shaded areas. LEDs seem to be VERY directional. Having never used AI or G4 and earlier Radions, I can't comment on their growth patterns, but I ran some Kessil A350s and the shadowing was pretty extreme. The undersides of SPS branches showed little polyp growth, there were significant shaded areas under rocks, etc. T5s and/or MH were better at flooding the whole tank with light.

I hope this is better with the Radion G5s. I think it might be because of the amount of LEDs and the appearance of the spread. I'm recovering from a tank crash after a power outage, so my data is super crappy, but the tank LOOKS like the flood effect is better than I had with my Kessils. I ran 2x A350s on the same tank when I lived in Alaska, then moved back to Oklahoma and ran 6x 24" T5s. The Kessil shimmer can't be beat...the A350 color needed help from T5s. Remember, A350s are old gen Kessils.

The XR15 looks like it floods the tank with similar light to the T5s, but it's not as visibly bright. By that, I mean that the color is great, but I'm forever tempted to crank up the intensity to get more visible brightness into the tank. The coral don't need it, and would probably suffer for it. There's just a visual difference between LEDs and other lighting that I've noticed over the years.

Basically, LEDs are great for color accent and variety. They're also great for growth. They're pretty good for power management, especially in small tanks. They'll treat your corals like they want to be treated, but you'll have to adjust your expectations regarding how you plan to view them. The light appears less bright to you, some colors pop better. As for color balance, it fits the T5 combo fight. Blue brings florescence...too blue breeds a Windex look. I've found a balance I love with my G5 XR15, but if power consumption is your issue, you might not want to mess with the good thing you have going.

Bottom line last: LEDs do cool stuff, but I still don't see a reason to convert aside from power savings (if its there), bulb replacement cost (if you care), and over-tank form factor. Starting new is a different discussion. As a former T5 convert, I wouldn't say LED conversion is necessary. That said, I like the color tuning capability I have...but it's really just a medium'ish improvement.

I looked at this and it kind of read like a push for LEDs, even though the electrical savings aren't huge. I should clarify by saying that I'm no LED fan boy. Honestly, T5s and MH are my favorite...possibly usurped by T5s and LEDs, but only for color.

T5s and MH seemed to flood the tank with light, encouraging growth on the underside of branches and in shaded areas. LEDs seem to be VERY directional. Having never used AI or G4 and earlier Radions, I can't comment on their growth patterns, but I ran some Kessil A350s and the shadowing was pretty extreme. The undersides of SPS branches showed little polyp growth, there were significant shaded areas under rocks, etc. T5s and/or MH were better at flooding the whole tank with light.

I hope this is better with the Radion G5s. I think it might be because of the amount of LEDs and the appearance of the spread. I'm recovering from a tank crash after a power outage, so my data is super crappy, but the tank LOOKS like the flood effect is better than I had with my Kessils. I ran 2x A350s on the same tank when I lived in Alaska, then moved back to Oklahoma and ran 6x 24" T5s. The Kessil shimmer can't be beat...the A350 color needed help from T5s. Remember, A350s are old gen Kessils.

The XR15 looks like it floods the tank with similar light to the T5s, but it's not as visibly bright. By that, I mean that the color is great, but I'm forever tempted to crank up the intensity to get more visible brightness into the tank. The coral don't need it, and would probably suffer for it. There's just a visual difference between LEDs and other lighting that I've noticed over the years.

Basically, LEDs are great for color accent and variety. They're also great for growth. They're pretty good for power management, especially in small tanks. They'll treat your corals like they want to be treated, but you'll have to adjust your expectations regarding how you plan to view them. The light appears less bright to you, some colors pop better. As for color balance, it fits the T5 combo fight. Blue brings florescence...too blue breeds a Windex look. I've found a balance I love with my G5 XR15, but if power consumption is your issue, you might not want to mess with the good thing you have going.

Bottom line last: LEDs do cool stuff, but I still don't see a reason to convert aside from power savings (if its there), bulb replacement cost (if you care), and over-tank form factor. Starting new is a different discussion. As a former T5 convert, I wouldn't say LED conversion is necessary. That said, I like the color tuning capability I have...but it's really just a medium'ish improvement.

Thanks [MENTION=178112]cody6766[/MENTION]... Please no more points so i don't get more confused. Jajajajajajaj

Really you got me thinking. Actually i wrote ATI and they recommended me to reduce hours to 6hrs full instead of 8 and the remaining with only 2 bulbs setup for viewing purpose. I am also going to use more hours the Reefbrites and reduce the T5 full setup to see how it goes. I don't have access to a PAR meter to it will be a trail an error hoping it don't affect the Corals.

I don't think you'll have an issue with that schedule. You could also factor in a 'blue time' and run an LED-only period. I'm not sure how much you'll save, but you might like it. Your reefbrites will really help with the pop you'd get with an all LED set up, so you win there too.

Worst case, set your AC to 78 degrees, unplug your tank heater, close the blinds (for the neighbors' sake), and spend the day dressed like Donald Duck to beat the heat while you enjoy your tank:lolspin:

I don't think you'll have an issue with that schedule. You could also factor in a 'blue time' and run an LED-only period. I'm not sure how much you'll save, but you might like it. Your reefbrites will really help with the pop you'd get with an all LED set up, so you win there too.

Worst case, set your AC to 78 degrees, unplug your tank heater, close the blinds (for the neighbors' sake), and spend the day dressed like Donald Duck to beat the heat while you enjoy your tank:lolspin:

Jajajajjajaj. Thanks Buddy... Will try that.

Back