Radion XR30W G4 Pro - Apex 2016

Member No. 1

Ver. 2.1.1
Premium Member
A few pre-purchase questions for those of you running Radion XR30W G4 Pro lights in conjunction with an Apex 2016.
I am a diehard MH/T-5 Actinic fan boy, and in my mind nothing will beat that combo. I'm not here to debate that. I am however considering switching to LED's, for a few reasons, but the biggest 2 are form factor of the lighting system, and heat generation. I also like the idea of the ramp up/down control.
I don't give a rat's bum about any energy savings. If I did, I sure in heck wouldn't be in this hobbie! All I want is a nice looking light that can grow corals as well as my MH/Actincis, which I believe this light will.
I've done my research, watched all the videos, and if I do switch, it will be to the Radions. (3) XR30W G4 Pro's over a 48x24x24 120.

So to my reason for my post. I DO NOT/WILL NOT use a Reef Link for control.
It has to be Apex control or nothing.
For those of you running this light with an Apex 2016, I have a few questions.

1. I like the idea of using Ecotech's predetermined program's such as the SPS AB+ or the SPS PHX14. I have no intention of creating my own custom program. So can I run these thru Apex? Are they selectable like the mode programs for the MP Series pumps?

2. I use a LSM for a moon phase. Can something similar be incorporated into the lighting schedule?

I'm sure more questions will arise, so TIA for you feedback and help.

you just have to get the wxm module for it. also just stick with metal halide t5 or get like a nice giesemann spectra fixture lol. nothing grows coral like halide XD

You will need the apex WXM module. I do run both Radion Gen4 Pro and Apex, but I do use the ReefLink, so cannot tell you whether all the light features work with the WXM or not. My guess is you'd have to set profiles like with the vortech pumps. The ramping feature in the Gen4 is not perfect (there are color shifts as it dims), but it is better than any other fixture I have seen or used; well, other than my old Solar 1000, but that was incandescent :(

Thanks for the replies, already have 2 WXM's running MP-40QD's.

I'm very hard pressed to move away from MH/T-5's, but I want to go in a different direction, and I feel the time is right. I feel the XR30W Q4 Pro might just be the answer.
Again, I'm just gathering info as it pertains to this particular light and it's integration with APEX. I don't want this to turn into yet another Mh vs T-5 vs LED light debate! Nope, ain't gonna :deadhorse:

I'm looking the same equipment and have the same requirements. Can someone confirm that you can run those imported lighting programs on the radion through the apex wxm?

I'm very hard pressed to move away from MH/T-5's, but I want to go in a different direction, and I feel the time is right. I feel the XR30W Q4 Pro might just be the answer.

I was a 25 year MH guy, and I've been pretty happy with the Radions. BTW, if you do take the plunge, you might want to consider six XW15 instead of three XW30. I did the latter but wished in retrospect that I had done the former. More flexible in terms of placement and the fans aren't as noisy ... and the cost is about the same (maybe a little more for the mounts).

Simon, thanks for the feedback. But now you tell me! Pulled the trigger this AM, will be here tomorrow, via Next Day Air!
I understand your point on the (6) X15's vs (3) X30's but this will be over a 48x24x24 120 gallon. Don't have a lot of wiggle room.
I purchased the swivel mounts and mounting rail. This way I can try different configurations.
As in:
- - -
| | |
| - |
- | -

See what gives the best coverage/light spread.

Do you see much "DISCO" effect? I run BB and with the bottom being so white, I'm a little concerned.
Once dialed in, I might try the diffusers.

Program question-

Program question-

Since I will be running 3 and controlling via Apex, do all 3 lights work as one, or can you control all 3 separately?

But now you tell me! Pulled the trigger this AM, will be here tomorrow, via Next Day Air!

:lol: not that big of a deal. It just annoys me that the fans on the XW30 run 24/7 versus the fans in the XW15 that only run as needed. Never did get a cogent explanation of why.

Do you see much "DISCO" effect? I run BB and with the bottom being so white, I'm a little concerned. Once dialed in, I might try the diffusers.

There's a little; doesn't really bother me though. I'm pushing the limits of mine over a much bigger tank so didn't feel I could 'afford' to lose any par by using the diffusers.

I have not used the WXM with mine. In setting them up with ReefLink there was an involved process to calibrate each light so that when the program says 25%, for example, all the lights behave identically. I'm unsure if this same facility is available via WXM. Probably doesn't make that much difference. I'd imagine you'd set each up as a different device to control on WXM and use the programming to determine whether they work as one or individually. I run all mine in synch.

Since I will be running 3 and controlling via Apex, do all 3 lights work as one, or can you control all 3 separately?

You can control each light separately. Man going from MH/T5 to LED hard decision. It seems like it is going the other way these days. I was a MH/T5 guy back in the day, the switched to LED and now I am running LED/T5. I am not gonna say that LED doesn't do this or that, but I noticed in a short period of time, like 2 days that I like the color of the few SPS that I have in the tank better with the T5 supplement compared to only the LED.

You may want to check out the Aquatic Life fixture or get some other type of T5 retrofit kit to get good PAR to your corals.

If I currently had MH/T5 man it would be difficult for me to switch. I personally would take that $$$ and buy some high-end SPS to grow out. Then again, we all like our gadgets.

Simon, thanks for the feedback. But now you tell me! Pulled the trigger this AM, will be here tomorrow, via Next Day Air!

I understand your point on the (6) X15's vs (3) X30's but this will be over a 48x24x24 120 gallon. Don't have a lot of wiggle room.

I purchased the swivel mounts and mounting rail. This way I can try different configurations.

As in:

- - -

| | |

| - |

- | -

See what gives the best coverage/light spread.

Do you see much "DISCO" effect? I run BB and with the bottom being so white, I'm a little concerned.

Once dialed in, I might try the diffusers.

Can you report back on any limitations you find running them via wxm? I'm not sure wether you can run those custom imported programs through wxm was ever answered here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can control each light separately. Man going from MH/T5 to LED hard decision. It seems like it is going the other way these days. I was a MH/T5 guy back in the day, the switched to LED and now I am running LED/T5. I am not gonna say that LED doesn't do this or that, but I noticed in a short period of time, like 2 days that I like the color of the few SPS that I have in the tank better with the T5 supplement compared to only the LED.

You may want to check out the Aquatic Life fixture or get some other type of T5 retrofit kit to get good PAR to your corals.

If I currently had MH/T5 man it would be difficult for me to switch. I personally would take that $$$ and buy some high-end SPS to grow out. Then again, we all like our gadgets.

Thanks for the info.
Yea, it was a hard choice, and hopefully it will work out. I think one reason people are going back to MH/T-5's from LED's is that they don't understand the coral's need vs the person's need to make the coral look pretty or "glow". They play with intensities and spectrums which burn or kill the coral. They make changes without knowing how it effects the corals, or keep changing them too quickly without letting the coral adapt to the change. I plan on running either the SPS AB+ or the SPS PHX program that was developed by Ecotech and Patrick of Reef Wholesaler. There's a good write up on Ectotech's web site. http://ecotechmarine.com/corallab.

I did look at the Aquatic Life fixture, while it looks pretty nice, it got bad reviews on the design end. If anything, since my stand is an open concept 80/20 build, with an attached fixture holder, I would DYI a Radion/T-5 hybrid out of some 80/20 profiles. But to be honest, (3) of the XR30W G4 Pro's over a 48x24x24 120 will be more than enough PAR.
But in the end, I hope it works out, if not someone will end up with a sweet LED setup in exchange for (2) new Phoenix 14K's!

You are 100% correct in people playing with the LEDs like they are at the disco. I run an SPS AB+ on my Hydras and just adjusted the intensity to my liking.

Back