Raising alkalinity

ask499

Hey all,

As of right now my alkalinity is at 6.7 dkh. I want to raise it to at least 8.5 dkh in my 90 gallon. I am using Red Sea foundation alkalinity and unsure of how much to dose in a safe manner. Can anyone be of assistance? Right now my tank is mostly leathers and softies. I want to start introducing lps but want my parameters to be correct first.

Thank you

But how much should I dose at a time for this increase. I followed the directions of 1ml per 25 gallons and have not seen an increase

From Red Sea web site:

Concentration:
Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH)

Powder supplement: 1g will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) 0.12 meq/l (0.33dKH)
1 kg will make 10L of stock solution.

Using the liquid guide lines, in a 90g tank, you would need to add 18ml to raise it 0.5dkh.
90g/25 = 3.6ml to raise it 0.1dKh. - 0.5dKh is 5 times 0.1dKh so 3.6*5=18ml

From Red Sea web site:

Concentration:
Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH)

Powder supplement: 1g will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) 0.12 meq/l (0.33dKH)
1 kg will make 10L of stock solution.

Using the liquid guide lines, in a 90g tank, you would need to add 18ml to raise it 0.5dkh.
90g/25 = 3.6ml to raise it 0.1dKh. - 0.5dKh is 5 times 0.1dKh so 3.6*5=18ml

Thanks!! Greatly appreciated. my calculations didnt include the multiplication part

If your alkalinity keeps falling your magnesium may be too low. Keep your mg about 1400.

Hi!
Been using Sea Chem Reef Builder to maintain my tank alkalinity (for my inverts - shrimp, urchins, snails, hermits, etc) - similar to Red sea. I mix 1/2 tsp in a cup and dose every THIRD day. My alkalinity has been locked in at 10 dkh ever since I started.
My tank is the same size as yours.

If your alkalinity keeps falling your magnesium may be too low. Keep your mg about 1400.

My alkalinity keeps dropping and now that you mention it my magnesium keeps dropping also. Calcium have been staying relatively the same.

Alk is now 9.25 dkh
Cal is now 432 ppm
Mag is now 1289 ppm

How much ppm can I increase Mag a day?

Honestly, your magnesium is ok. Seawater is around 1300ppm. Start slowly and see what it does. It takes quite a bit of additive to raise magnesium. I highly recommend the BRS magnesium additive (buy an empty jug too) but you can use epsom salts. Use the calculator I linked.

Honestly, your magnesium is ok. Seawater is around 1300ppm. Start slowly and see what it does. It takes quite a bit of additive to raise magnesium. I highly recommend the BRS magnesium additive (buy an empty jug too) but you can use epsom salts. Use the calculator I linked.

I'm using it right now to do the calculations. That's a great tool. Thank you

Back