Raising Dkh and Calcium

Hingeback

How much can you safely raise Dkh and calcium in a 24 hour period ( ppm )

I usually have no problems maintaing good levels of Dkh, calcium, ph amd mag. Have not tested levels for the last 3 days and when I tested today Dkh and Ca have dropped massively and ph down to 8, so not too bad.

Sorry should have posted this in the reef chemistry forum.

Its just that it happened in my sps tank and a liitle taken aback at the size of the drop.

no I think it is the right place to ask. in an sps tank I think they are more sesitive to the change. I think I remember reading that cal. should not change more then 20ppm in 24 yours.

I think you can check in the reef calculator area has the answer. Think that is where I read it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Roger

Kalkwasser is a great way to supply both alk and ca to a reef tank. There are also may different two part alk and ca additives out there that work great. B Ionic and Kent Marine are the best two That I have heard about but I stick with the Kalk.

What exactly is being kept in the tank? No way to answer without knowing that.

If you are keeping SPS I would raise it .5/day until I got to the desired level. Maybe even every other day. I wouldn't change more than 1 dkh /day though.

Sorry for not replying earlier, your replies are much apprecated.

I use baking soda mixed 5 parts to 1 baked to buffer alk.
Calcium I use Brightwell Aquatics liquid additive.

Tank is an sps reef mostly frags but a few medium sized corals. All showing good growth.

I did post this in chemistry forum as I was not sure I had posted in correct area. Came to the conclusion with the help of Randy Holmes- Farley that there must have been an error in prior testing of calcium, as it appears that the calcium drop I had was impossible to have.
I have buffered the Dkh upto 9 dkh and the calcium up to 400. Hopefully will be back up to 10 dkh and 450 calcium tomorrow, where I like it.

Did want to dose kalk as my ph was not to bad and has come back to 8.3. I thought Kalk might buffer it too much.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Back