Raising Magnesium

fishkeeprian

Hello,

I need to raise my Magnesium.

I have seachem advantage dry and did my calculations on the reef chemistry calculator and you need a lot of product to raise the number and it needs a fair amount of ro to dissolve properly.

Is there a better product which I can use?

My mag reading is 1245ppm and I want to get it to 1350ppm.

Is 1245ppm low?

Thanks

Hello,

I need to raise my Magnesium.

I have seachem advantage dry and did my calculations on the reef chemistry calculator and you need a lot of product to raise the number and it needs a fair amount of ro to dissolve properly.

Is there a better product which I can use?

My mag reading is 1245ppm and I want to get it to 1350ppm.

Is 1245ppm low?

Thanks

On the lower end of the traditional range but not to be overly concerned.
I have always suggested the range might be 1260-1360ppm.
Seachem has a liquid mg in their AquaVitro line which has worked well.
Increase it, sure, when you have time...
It's not better...but maybe easier....
I do the same for Alk and CA, buying the liquid Seachem Fusion 1 and 2 as the concentration is always the same, so dosing becomes much easier, and for my much more accurate.

There are DIY products that are somewhat cheaper, but raising magnesium takes a lot of product. I am not sure what's available in English. There's a de-icer, "Mag Flake", that's available in the US that's good.

There are DIY products that are somewhat cheaper, but raising magnesium takes a lot of product. I am not sure what's available in English. There's a de-icer, "Mag Flake", that's available in the US that's good.

Can you work out how many grams I need to raise my Mag from 1245 to 1350 please here's a link to the info.

I need help because I got a result I wasn't expecting.

Actual water volume 190 Litres.

This is the seachem magnesium adav (dry)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4l48w7omdlmys0n/IMG_0723.jpg?dl=0

Are you sure that the volume estimate is accurate? How did you compute it?

I've always used 200 litres of water volume when dosing anything. I used the calculator to up my alk using that amount previously and it was nearly spot on every time. Since then I've added a sandbed so minus 10 litres to compensate for it so using. 190 L.

I've tested again tonight and it now reads 1335ppm.

This is the reason I asked for that amount to worked out from the instructions rather than on the calculator so I could compare the two dosage from manual
Working out and the reef calculator just to make sure it was correct.

I will double check the water volume. How much do you compensate rock for, and sandbed?

I've never found a convincing formula for compensating for rock and sand. I got the measurements for my tanks by doing water changes and when emptying them to move them. I had to move them more than I liked.

I've never found a convincing formula for compensating for rock and sand. I got the measurements for my tanks by doing water changes and when emptying them to move them. I had to move them more than I liked.

What do you think about the drop from 1380 to 1335?

1380 was measured a few hours after dosing and 1335 was measured around 24hrs after.

I dose mag through my doser everyday as I do the ATI essentials balling method.

Those numbers are not all that far apart, and might be due to a tiny bit of mixing still happening and normal noise in test results. A 15 ppm error per test result is a reasonable estimate of the noise, I think.

Those numbers are not all that far apart, and might be due to a tiny bit of mixing still happening and normal noise in test results. A 15 ppm error per test result is a reasonable estimate of the noise, I think.

Is a 90ppm rise within 24hrs a big rise?

That should be safe enough. I wouldn't worry at all. We generally say to limit changes to 100 ppm per day for magnesium.

I have raised mine quicker than 90ppm at a time with no negative results.

But every system is different.

Back