Raising PH and Alkalinity

Yes, it can all be overwhelming. For most corals and anemones the 1.025-1.026 range for SG seems preferred. I too had a lot of trouble with algae... GHA and bryopsis. Tried to increase magnesium used Tech-M and everything I could think of but my alk was always low. Finally I decided, "dang it, I'm going to get this alk stable" so I put a 'maximum' dose in (for my tank size .. 185 g) and suddenly everything stabilized and the algae is receding (nearly gone and I had LOTS).

Get yourself some Seachem Reef Fusion (2 parts - one is alk and the other calcium). Follow the directions and get these two in the appropriate range - 8-12 alk and 450'ish calcium. I think you'll see the Ph stabilize once you do that. Oh, and get test kits for both. I don't use the strips but have read they are not that reliable.

See That's why I am here. I have been told SEVERAL good Par's for SG. I was at 1.025, and told TOO HIGH MATE.!, But others said, that's fine. I have it at 1.022, and, "Hey that's a great number", Then, Oh wow that is kinda low.
BAH!
I am GLAD to get all kinds of feed back, but what to do with too much feedback?
Not sure, But I think I will try to stabilize at LEAST my SG at about 1.023 or so.
Do bigger and more consistent WC's, perhaps at the very LEAST a small bag of GFO in the HOB for a week or two at least.
I may even get a 20Gal Rubbermade Brute and keep it full
Seeing as I got a 5 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean for next to NOTHING I will be using that for a while, LOL. (I do have a 38 and/or a 65 I may set up n the next few weeks. WHAT? All this trouble and another tank??? Well I am gonna try. by the time I do I think my present tank will fix these small bugs I seem to have. But in the mean time RC is a HUGE help, Thank you all so far!!!!

O BTW! I totally forgot to mention my three frags. Armor of the Gods Zoo, and two other button ply's. They seem to be doing Great! But I guess I am naive enough to not know what ELSE I am gonna have to put in the water for THEM?!

LOL! Yup, every aquarist has a favorite number or habit, and some think their way is the only way. LOL! You will have to find your OWN way among all the feedback.

Here is where I base my parameters on. This is my bible, and the guru that wrote it is actually here in this board and in this thread! http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php Here is an article on pH and alk: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Trying to keep my parameters as close to sea water as possible seems to be the most logical to me, so that's what I do. I also go for the higher SG ot only because seawater is at 1.026, since that provides me with more of the needed minerals. As an example, the alk and calcium will be lower in a freshly mixed batch of 1.023 water compared to a newly mixed batch of 1.026 water, regardless of the brand. So, if your alk and calcium are low in the tank, makes sense to raise it by raising the SG, no?

Zoas and palys are excellent beginner coral. So are mushrooms and xenias. Very forgiving. But, advanced reefers try to stay away from them because they can overgrow the tank. Talk about contrary advice!! :)

Palting, I'll add one more thread:

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?13186-CA-Alkalinity-How-Corals-Grow

Lastly, I wouldn't chase any number whether it be ph or alkalinity or calcium. Stability is more important. If you indeed have low numbers, we can investigate and try to slowly raise that number without the rollercoaster ride.

Edit:

Always have a separate test kit, or someone else double check your findings when testing your water. Test kits notoriously give false information, whether due to faulty test kit, or human error.

The ideal SG is that of natural seawater which is 1.0265 or 35 ppt.
IMO the best way to stabilize your parameters (alk, calcium and PH anyway) is by dripping saturated kalkwasser via ATO.

Yes, it can all be overwhelming. For most corals and anemones the 1.025-1.026 range for SG seems preferred. I too had a lot of trouble with algae... GHA and bryopsis. Tried to increase magnesium used Tech-M and everything I could think of but my alk was always low. Finally I decided, "dang it, I'm going to get this alk stable" so I put a 'maximum' dose in (for my tank size .. 185 g) and suddenly everything stabilized and the algae is receding (nearly gone and I had LOTS).

Get yourself some Seachem Reef Fusion (2 parts - one is alk and the other calcium). Follow the directions and get these two in the appropriate range - 8-12 alk and 450'ish calcium. I think you'll see the Ph stabilize once you do that. Oh, and get test kits for both. I don't use the strips but have read they are not that reliable.
Picked up Nano Reef (2-part) Three stores did not have Tech-M But this seems SO close to it, and RECOMMENDED for small tanks (up to 40G) So I started it last night. ONLY THING, it doesn't say how often to use!!

Picked up Nano Reef (2-part) Three stores did not have Tech-M But this seems SO close to it, and RECOMMENDED for small tanks (up to 40G) So I started it last night. ONLY THING, it doesn't say how often to use!!

Your test kits will tell you that.
Most 2-parts are alkalinity and calcium only. (follow the directions closely, do not dose both at the same time)
Tech-M is a magnesium supplement.

Back