randy holmes farley 2 part query maths help !

two tangy

i am using recipe 2 of the alk calc and mag recipe. and am considering the alkatronic and dostronic for full alk calc and mag control. however it requires that all 3 elements are dosed in the same quantities, which is fine for alk and calcium. in recipe 2 you add 305ml of the mag solution for every 1 us gallon(3780ml) of alk and calcium to keep the balance.

i currently dose 250ml alk, 250ml calcium, and 20 ml mag. if i want to raise my mag dose to 250ml to match the other doses i would have to dilute my mag solution. as my mag dos is 8% of my alk and calcium dose i presume i have to dilute my mag by 12.5 times. if i use the directed amount of magnesium recipe dry ingredients but make the solution up to 12.5 us gallons (47250ml) would i then be able to dose alk 250ml, calcium 250ml and mag 250 ml.

hope this makes sense thank you

Only dose what you test for and only dose for what you use. I use a calcium reactor but do have to dose Mag so I test for it and use this calculator to determine how much to add. When I was dosing 2 part I calculated the tanks daily usage and used that calculator to determine the amount to dose. What is your daily tank usage of those elements?

What are your Ca, dKH and mag levels?

Also, if the mixture is still "slushy", you could drop the magnesium sulfate from the recipe and just use magnesium chloride, which probably will dissolve more completely.

Back