Rant: At what point did only running BLUE LED's become a thing...

reefinsocal

So I made the trip to LAX Aquariums yesterday.... Call me old fashioned but **** is with these shops only running BLUES. Do most of you also run your tanks on all blues. I get that look during sundown in my tank for about an hour but not all day. Thoughts/Opinions?

I run a variant of AB+ on my Gen 4’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
And *** is the whole here are orange glasses to see past the blues. Ya, that doesn’t work. Can’t wrap my head around this fad.

Funny you mentioned it. I've been trying to find a new schedule for my gen4's because the one I've been running for a while has an all blue photoperiod the last 5 hours of the day. It looks great when I wear my orange filter glasses, but I don't like having to put those on to see the colors better.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the ab+ look to the naked eye either. Right now I like how my nano tank looks with my AI Prime schedule. With more whites during the peak of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really dislikes the shops that do full blue leds.. I don't even buy anything from those shops for that reason.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

It's literally the poster child for "œsmoke and mirrors". Imagine going to buy a car and they were like, you can only come at night to see it. :rolleye1:

I really dislikes the shops that do full blue leds.. I don't even buy anything from those shops for that reason.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

yup.. there are even some shops that max out their blues.. and put an orange film on the front glass of the display tank lol

Another thing. Remember when we gave away green grand polys and brown mushrooms, even green mushrooms. Now cause the led makes a plan green mushroom pop they sell for big money. That's the joke here. People paying for things we use to throw in the trash cause it was brown and grow like a weed.

Can't stand that shop. Shady af. Last time i was there a few years ago, they overcharged me $5 on purpose and i know it was on purpose because i heard the owners son tell the dumb young girl ringing me up what the price was and when she ran my debit card, i looked at my receipt which i rarely do and called her on it. She had the dumb deer in the headlights look. So i ask her to either refund my $5 or just put it back on my card. She said they cant do that and that i had to buy something. Obviously it wasnt about the $5 so i said "no thanks" and the moron owners son said i had to buy something because get this, there's "no refunds" i just shook my head, got some frozen food and walked out. Won't ever go back to that shop full of thieves.

So I made the trip to LAX Aquariums yesterday.... Call me old fashioned but **** is with these shops only running BLUES. Do most of you also run your tanks on all blues. I get that look during sundown in my tank for about an hour but not all day. Thoughts/Opinions?

I run a variant of AB+ on my Gen 4's.
I've wondered that myself so often: are there really reefers that run their tanks on blue only for the whole day? And does it actually grow coral?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Ha ha Ha before this it was complaining about all the blue T5 bulbs and then even before that it was complaining about 20 K radium metal halide

So yes people use lighting to manipulate people"˜s perception of the vibrance or exciting color nature of rather boring corals

Newsflash women also use make up and Shapeware to cheat us the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you OG people. Miss my MH setup and still thinking about going back to it now that I've had T5s for a few years. The sps still look better and grow faster at least from my experience. Never really liked the blues not natural at all, but don't mind for 10 mins before and after main lights go on. :D

Preach!!!

I get having the blues on for a dawn/dusk effect, but, for me, it's too artificial and certainly not what it looks like when you go diving. My lighting schedule will always be a majority whiter spectrum, but that's just my preference.

I love looking at the colors that come out while running blues for about 10 min. Otherwise my eyes hurt looking at it. Totally agree that this is making brown corals look amazing and bumping the asking price. I always ask to put at least a 14K spectrum on so I can see the difference.

Back to the question though. I run my lights at around 14 K most of the day with a fade to blue at the end of the night (2am). When I want a look at the amazing colors I adjust the lights on manual for whatever time I'm looking. I also get my viewing glass out and look top down.

Jeff

If you ever walk into real farms.. places that grow coral to sell like Vivid, you will see they have their RADIONS on 100% all channels till you walk in to buy. then they switch on the more pleasing spectrums.

The place Juan is talking about where they offer up glasses and stick orange film on their tanks is a chop shop and get corals from hobbyist to resale. No... corals are not growing out of control at that shop haha

i get the allure of the bright popping colors under blues, but then cool stuff like oregon tort just looks meh under all blues. the fish also generally look less appealing under blues only

Back