***Rapid Led Questions***

AndysReef

Ok, so I have been looking at Rapid Led and I have some questions:

I will have 48 leds and 2 heatsinks 24 leds on each- do I really need fans?

Is the Meanwell ELN-60-48P driver compatible with Apex controllers? I don't have one now but will get one in the future. I would also use the pwm controller rapid led has until I get an Apex.

Also, I have a 48in led fixture currently and would like to use that with two 6 by 20in heatsinks for moonlights. Any ideas on how I should hang the two heatsinks and the fixture?

Lastly, how the heck do I post a picture on this forum?

Whether or not you need a fan is going to depend on the size heatsinks you went with. And no, the 48P's will not work with an Apex, since they are PWM. Either get 48D's and just dim with them with a POT until you get an Apex or keep the 48P's and get some RGB dimmer, or the RapidLED PWM controller and down the road get a Typhon, Reef Angel or build an Arduino controller. Oops, missed the part about heat sink size. What size is this for? Is there a center brace?

Depends on the size heat sink and how much power your going to be pushing them at. I have 48 LEDs on a 10"x18" heat sink running at about 30% and don't need the fans

That's a good point too, I didn't even think about how much power. Also, are you going to be using thermal adhesive or are you screwing them to the heatsink?

6x20 should be fine without a fine. I would make a heatsink frame that way you can hang both heatsinks as one fixture instead of having to hang two heatsinks.

2013-03-07200702_zps6e208af3.jpg

2013-03-03192756_zpsfafb17e8.jpg

Do yourself a favor and get some fans for the heatsink. I have the 48p kit and the heatsinks were very hot without a fan running. The drivers also get extremely hot. I put them on the outside of my stand and they got so hot that they made black heat marks on the stand. Very scary...

I just took an old tool box and retro fit two fans to cool the drivers and it works like a charm. Not very appealing to the eye but they are hidden out of site. To do it over again I would have bulit a nice wooden box to encase them with fans..

6x20 should be fine without a fine. I would make a heatsink frame that way you can hang both heatsinks as one fixture instead of having to hang two heatsinks.

I like how you did yours. What did you use and how did you screw it to the sink

Not sure how loud they are. I was going to use a couple extra 120mm fans I have leftover from a computer build. They're fairly quiet. If you do that just make sure they fans you get have the 3 wire plug(red,black, yellow) and just order the harness and power supply from Rapid.

I believe the Apex uses a 0-10V analog dimming solution, so you'll want the ELN-60-48D for a controller, the P version is for PWM. I have read other solutions to get a 48P to work with an Apex, but if you're going to get an Apex why not just get the most compatible driver out of the box.

Anyone know how loud the rapid led fans are? I've heard they can be a bit annoying

I bought mine from ebay, the exact same fan as what Rapid LED sells. They are very quiet and I am happy with my purchase. I run them full speed and so far the heatsinks are very cool to the touch.

Anyone know how loud the rapid led fans are? I've heard they can be a bit annoying

If the fans are 12V use a variable voltage supply and run them slower, or use a fan controller with a 12V supply. Running them slower will make them significantly more quiet to inaudible.

If the fans are 12V use a variable voltage supply and run them slower, or use a fan controller with a 12V supply. Running them slower will make them significantly more quiet to inaudible.

You can find the parts you need on ebay for very cheap. Just look and you will find them. Get the speed control, it is worth it.

Ok thanks guys. Also, what optics should i put on them? I will be mounting them 10-12 inches above the water. I was looking at 60*

Back