RBTA is dark red/black towards the base of the arms - is that normal?

agoutihead

I just got a RBTA less than a week ago, it seems to be doing fine, its bubbled up probably 70% of the time and then about 85% full bubbles, if that makes sense.

But towards the base of the arms, mouth/body it seems like its really dark red, almost black.

Is this ok?

Or is it a sign of too much lighting?

I have it about 15" below a 250W MH.

I didnt see anything on that subject in that link?

I dont see how it could be a loss of algae, its under a 250W 14k phoenix...

Granted I probaby need to change my bulb here soon... its still a 250W.

if it were losing zooxanthellae it would be getting bleached/lighter not darker. i'd say it is just color variation. i've seen some very dark RBTAs

Can RBTA's get too much light?

It hasnt moved since I put it in the tank a week ago, so I'm going to assume it likes where its at...

but should I try to put it lower in the tank to see if it lightens up a little?

Depending on where the anemone was collected/aquacultured from will depend on the light they prefer. Some like it very bright and others do fine under medium light. From the sound of things yours is fine. Bleaching would worry me.

I honestly dont like how dark its getting, I suppose the only thing to do is drop it lower.

I can probably drop it about 6-7" lower in the tank.

Hopefully this will help brighten it back up?

It may just walk back up and if it doesn't it may not change back. It will at minimum cause undo stress to the anemone.

Are you feeding the anemone?

Try feeding something different if you are.

It could also be your lighting or your tank has more/less organics in it than it's previous tank.

Hmm. If it changed one way, why wouldnt it change back to another if the conditions were lifted?

I've only been feeding some tiny spectrum pellets from time to time and some rods reef like once.

Remember, I've only had it for a week.

I am not running a skimmer on my tank, so I'm sure there are more organics than a normal tank.

How would organics affect the coloring of it?

Just moving the anemone will not be the solution, it will just move back to where it was happy.

Organics can change the color of corals and anemones. Corals that are bright green occasionally turn brown when nutrient levels are high. The zooanthallae in the anemone consume more and turn a darker brown, therefore the anemone turns darker.

A week is a short time and possibly it will go back to the color it was.

You should try feeding the anemone silversides or krill/shrimp.

I'm starting to get worried. This thing hasnt bubbled up in well over a week.

it still opens every day and looks like a normal anem, but no bubble tips.

I believe the color has gotten even a little darker.

My salinity is around .024 I think, I normally keep it up around .027 but it some how dropped during my last water change which just right before I got the RBTA.

Now I have done small water changes since then to try and raise the salinity up (it was at like 21, not its 24 or so)

What would be the real cause of no bubble tips?

I am going to be getting a Tunze Nano 9002 friday when I get paid, so hopefully that will help lighten the color of it.

Yeah that was a pretty good article. These damn things.

I'm hoping that once I add on the skimmer it will lighten the color & hopefully warrant it to want to bubble up again.

Back