Rbta ?

NewSchool04

I picked up a small RBTA at the CMAS meeting this weekend and I'm a little worried about it. I've had a BTA for over three years and know my fair share about creating a healthy environment for them but never have owned what seems to be a newly split anemone.

The anemone was in a bag when I picked it out, I could examine the foot, which looked great, but the rest of the anemone wasn't that clear. I could tell it had great color, healthy foot, I was good to go! When I got it home and out of the bag it was obvious that it had just split and this was a clone. I'm worried about the mouth, it's not totally healed or even in the middle of the anemone. It's more towards the edge of the disk and still not a closed circle.

How long does it take for a mouth on a newer clone RBTA heal?

I also have two Onyx clowns that are now hosting in the RBTA, I have to assume that this will not help the healing process.

A recently split BTA's mouth is not always in the center. It should have been completly healed before sold to you. It takes about a week before it is healed enough to eat. But even then, the mouth is not always in the center.

Can you get a pic?

Well, lets hope for the best. I don't believe in transporting newly split BTA's. They should be given a chance to heal before adding any more stress to them.

newschool, I was given a RBTA from an RC member, and when given to me, it was living on a bulkhead. When he removed it, it sort of tore... and it looked like a loose figre 8. When I got home I took a razor blade and finished the job, hoping for the best. At first, neither of them wanted to heal up, and just sat on their rocks. Then, after about a week... they both healed, had attached, and began opening. The smaller cut piece took several days longer to heal, but they are now perfectly healthy and happy RBTAs :D

Here is the RBTA, I couldn't get a decent picture of the mouth, couldn't even come close. The anemone has decided to attach itself underneath an overhang with about zero possibility to get a good shot.
I did feed tonight and it seemed to wrap itself around the food (Rod's) and curl up somewhat, the tentacles are very sticky so that's a good sign. . .

Eventhough he may be deformed . . . I still think he's a good lookin' anemone!

CIMG4161.jpg

Thanks redvipe. I do believe he looks healthy, I'm just worried about the mouth healing correctly, maybe I'm being a little over protective. I just wish I could get a picture of it.

Hey NewSchool,
In my experiences they usually take around 1-2 weeks for their mouths to form. I just had just had one split 2 days ago and right after this happened the clowns started bothering them. Go figure they have 4 huge RBTA'S to play with and they choose the 2 that were small and wounded. I bought one of those soap holders from target for the shower that have suction cups so you could attach it on your glass and put the 2 that split in there to let them heal without the clowns hosting them and they look a lot better now. I don't think your Suppose to fed them right after they split, because they have no mouth.

Man such nice photos, I picked up 2 BTA over the past year, 1 died, and one has shrank and barely blows up anymore...

Whats the secret? :0

jcar, when they split, are they totally split open? Is it obvious? I'm having a hard time figuring out a time period of when my anemone split and visualizing if mine is out of the woods or in danger. I've never had a BTA split so I'm not familiar with what exactly happens.

No pictures doesn't help at all, I know but I think I've given a decent description of what he looks like now.

I'm not really sure mnestroy but I think it's water quality and good feeding. I had my last BTA for three years before I sold it a month ago, starting out in a 3 day old nano (newbie) cube. LFS said I was good to go, and I bought it. That anemone went through hell until I upgraded to a 75, and then when I increased my skimming it did even better, when I started feeding it correctly, even better. The cleaner my water got, the better I fed him, the better the anemone did.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9285269#post9285269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
Thanks redvipe. I do believe he looks healthy, I'm just worried about the mouth healing correctly, maybe I'm being a little over protective. I just wish I could get a picture of it.

I just looked at one of my 9 BTAs tonight. It's mouth is healed, just not in the center, he split a few weeks ago. I do believe as it grows, the mouth will be more in the center.

Early on in this thread I was thinking much worse. I think it will be fine, and believe you were sold a healthy "healed" BTA.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9285663#post9285663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
when they split, are they totally split open? Is it obvious?

Yes, totally split open, and very obvious, and not very pretty.

Night_BTA_Split-1.jpg

Thanks redvipe! Funny thing is, I remember emailing Karen when I got my first bta years ago. She packed up her house and moved from AZ if I remember correctly and I lost touch with her.

The pics on her home page, my anemone looks almost exactly like the last picture, maybe a little more healed than that. But that pic was what I was trying to describe, the almost perfect 1/2 circle cut out of the disk, the mouth that isn't that clear, unorganized. That's where mine is now.

Karen is now all settled in and responding to any questions you have. She is now on a few different sites, and no longer with RC. Her e-mail address is on her webpage. She's in Texas btw. Great lady!

Just give your anemone time, it is definatly healthy and wouldn't have transported well if it wasn't healed well enough. They like silversides, and the chunky stuff found in Rod's Food! Mmmmmmmmm Yummy!

I'm def. going to email her, just to thank her for getting me through a couple of dark times when I didn't know jack!

I appreciate your confidence in the anemone redvipe! I'm def. going to be feeding, I just hope it has a mouth to eat!

You know Jeni redvipe?! If I had known that, I would have thrown my RBTA out by now!!!!! :lol:

I'll come clean, she PM'd me from FL telling me to get with you about this anemone, she just didn't have your RC name right! Either way, I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my ?'s and don't let Jeni hang that over your head!!! :p

Yes I know Jeni. Sweet lady with a good heart! And she tried hard all the way from Florida, got to give her that, and she was on vacation. She also has two of my BTA clones.

Karen will appreciate the feedback, tell her I said Hello!

Trust me, the little fellow has a mouth, or it would be in much worse shape, with a lot less color, and not so perky tenticles.

Back