RDSB - Kevin Style

Reefugee

This post is at the request of Reed. Reed wanted to know how I built my RDSB. This design was copied from Kevin's RDSB. I tried the RDSB in a 5 gallon Reef Crystal bucket, but those aren't water tight. Nice thing about this RDSB is that you can keep it outside of the sump, and it's completely water tight.

Parts:

1) a 5 gallon water bucket. I believe that Your Reef carries these particular bucket.

2) a 3/4" bulkhead - threaded on both sides.

3) three 90 degree 3/4" male thread to 1/2" barbed thingy.

4) a couple of feet of 1/2" ID hose

5) teflon tape

6) Sand

Procedure:

1. Drill a hole big enough for a 3/4" bulkhead. Drill the hole close to the container opening.

2. Screw one of the 3/4" male thread to 1/2" barbed thingin to the INSIDE of the bulkhead.

3. Slip the bulkhead inside the container. And screw the outside bulkhead nut. This may take a little effort.

4. Put teflon tape on other two 3/4" male to 1/2" barbed thingy. The teflon should go on clockwise. I have mine something like 5-7 wraps.

5. Screw one of the thingy to the bulkhead. Make sure it's on tight.

6. One the water container cap, drill out the inside. I can't remember what size spade bit I used. you can always use a knife to cut it out. Just be careful not to damage the thread.

7. Screw one a thingy to the cap.

8. Now fill the jug with sand. make sure it's atleast 8" deep. I recommend 10-12".

9. Screw the cap back on tight.

10. At a hose to both outlets. You may want to use zip ties to keep it on tight - but I don't think it's that necessary.

11. On the hose that is attached to the bulkhead - attached the other end to a Maxijet 900/1200. The hose should fit over the outlet. You will want to use a zip tie to secure the hose to the outlet.

12. Toss the hose MJ into you sump, and start feeding the RDSB. make sure the outlet hose is back in your sump.

That's it. Couple of more suggestions. 1) you can paint your container so the sand is in dark. If you can find non-clear hose, it would be better. From my pictures, you can see that I am getting some algae growth due to my sump light. You can also daisy chain a few of these together. Once this RDSB has been running for a year, I am going to daisy chain on a second one. That way, I can replace one RDSB ever 1.5 years.

RDSB1.gif

RDSB2.gif

Minh

Nice job and nice documentation Minh!

OH! And after a while I decided to put the MJ in a media bag to keep snails, chaeto, etc. from getting in the pump.

Kevin' you're revolutionizing the reefin game!!!

Kevin's RDSB worked wonders on my reef. It brought down my trates in no time at all! I can see the infomercial now . . . :D

sweet! when i upgrade i wont have room for a deep sand bed liek i do now the way it is, do you think if i put a 10 gallon fish tank from like petco or soemthing in the 75 gallon sump and have it just full of sand so that its still in the water level of the sump? would that work possibley??

Shipping cost would kill it though :lol: Imagine shipping 5 gallon of wet sand!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14832278#post14832278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bladeruner143
Kevin' you're revolutionizing the reefin game!!!

Kevin's RDSB worked wonders on my reef. It brought down my trates in no time at all! I can see the infomercial now . . . :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14832389#post14832389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob1991
sweet! when i upgrade i wont have room for a deep sand bed liek i do now the way it is, do you think if i put a 10 gallon fish tank from like petco or soemthing in the 75 gallon sump and have it just full of sand so that its still in the water level of the sump? would that work possibley??

I did something similar with my existing sump - im using a 40g and put about 6" of aragonite/coral sand in the bottom, covered sand with layer of LR rubble, then a layer of cheato, pump is isolated with overflow and no sand storms, seems to be working pretty good, may be a problem if i need to switch out the sand but that will give me a reason to redo the sump again and some redesign.

rich

Back