Rdsb!!

jc16

Hello i am at the planning stages of adding a RDSB to my system with around 18-20 inches of sand in a 30-50g drum or bin or some sort. Just want to know if they are effective on reducing nitrates? i also haven't figured out how to plumb it in along with a frag tank. I could use one of the drains from my main display straight into the rdsb but don't want any detritus getting in there. So i was thinking using a mag 9 pump ai nthe last compartment of my sump to pump water into a the rdsb and den let it gravity drain into a frag tank then back into sump, would that creat alot of air bubbles in the frag tank? or i could do it the other way around but if i put fishes in the frag tank the detritus would be a problem? so what do you guys think about this idea of a rdsb and how to plumb it in along with the frag tank? And could i add snails, starfish or some critters to stir the sand in the rdsb? thanks

You don't want to put any animals in the RDSB. Just let it colonize with bacteria. You want the the flow to and from the RDSB to be fast enough that detritus won't settle, thus no need for the critters.

There was a large thread on this a while back. Try the search for DSB 5g bucket etc. I just completed my 5g bucket and am plumbing it into my new setup. :smokin:
I will look for the link.:rolleyes:

so 300gph is enough for a 32g rubbermaid brute container? i was thinking more maybe feed 300gph then at a powerhead inside?

Generally you have a inch or so of open water, so it should not take a lot to keep so decent flow going across the surface. You just want to keep stuff from settling and rotting, to much flow and you start blowing sand all over the place.

Why would you need something like this? Is going through all of this really needed for reducing nitrates or is this just a good way at not servicing tank so often? Im new and curious so i hope my question is proper.

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14213435#post14213435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THEUNION1
Why would you need something like this? Is going through all of this really needed for reducing nitrates or is this just a good way at not servicing tank so often? Im new and curious so i hope my question is proper.

Thanks

This is a cheap ($$$) way to reduce nitrates.

it's a good idea for people with bare bottom tanks or a really effective way to reduce nitrates or even buffer your tank if you use aragonite

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14229001#post14229001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jc16
it's a good idea for people with bare bottom tanks or a really effective way to reduce nitrates or even buffer your tank if you use aragonite
Ah i get it haha..... He is still going to keep dry but run sand ahhhh what a stoop i am. Sorry carry on! :D

Back