Re: Difference between blue & townsend angelfish

ferret

Re: Difference between blue & townsend angelfish

Hi there,
Can someone tell me how to identify the difference between a juvenile blue angel with a townsend angel. Thanks in advance!

I think if I recall correctly the way you tell the difference between the two is the shape of the bars on the body. On the queen they are more curved and on a townshend they are straighter and run almost the full height of the body. There can be a lot of crossbreeding between these angelfish and it can be hard to tell. Let me dig through one of my books to make sure.

The Townsend I have does not have any bars on its body. Just the little black " crown" on it's forehead. It is yellow with electric blue outlining fins and the outside of the body.

The Townsend I have does not have any bars on its body. Just the little black " crown" on it's forehead. It is yellow with electric blue outlining fins and the outside of the body.

i think he was talking about the juvenile stage, while both angels have bars

I bought mine at 2-3 inches and was like that and still is in the process of changing color. Pretty sure I bought it as a juvenile. Maybe not

Yes and I'm referring to their pattern during their juvenile stage. I can easily tell the difference between juvenile queen and blue angel but not the townsend since I'm planning to purchase one in the near future. Thanks for the reply from all of you and more information provided would be much appreciated.

Yes and I'm referring to their pattern during their juvenile stage. I can easily tell the difference between juvenile queen and blue angel but not the townsend since I'm planning to purchase one in the near future. Thanks for the reply from all of you and more information provided would be much appreciated.

The problem is that townsend angels aren't always 50/50 queen/blue.... as far as I know there is a whole range of combinations. IMO best way would be to say that anything that doesn't look 100% queen (curved lines) or 100% blue (straight lines) could be a mixture of the two.

Back