? Re Marineland Deep 300

Kengar

I see from photos online that top bracing is plastic. As an owner of several Oceanic tanks in the past, with glass top-center bracing, I am wary of plastic. Has anyone had such fail on them or know of others that have had plastic fracture on them? I'm a metal halide veteran, and would want to do suspended halides again (as opposed to in hood, right over the bracing), but even that would give me cause to think twice about plastic bracing. (LED is an option (even in hood), of course, but I don't know yet what the long-term success track record is for LED's over SPS's)

Thanks.

When I had a 400w metal halide over a center brace it caused it to melt and eventually crack all the way through. It was probably eight inches over the brace

They have 2 braces with 3 openings so u can place 3 mh on top and they will b evenly spaced and not over a brace

What brand of tank? (I'm assuming there may be difference in quality of the plastic bracing from one mfr. to another, but, never having used a tank with plastic bracing, I don't know.) While 8 inches seems rather low, particularly under a 400 watter, I would not be surprised if plastic would become brittle and eventually crack under even 14 inches or more, due to light-based (UV components?) degradation.

(this was in response to mike cmu's post; tozzi's went up before I could hit "post")

Well its knowin that u will damage a plastic brace with a mh. Thats y its also knowin not to put a mh over a plastic brace. I think the dd tanks have plastic cause if they used glass on that 3' span many people would be leaning on it and cracking it. Plus im sure its cheaper

I think the dd tanks have plastic cause if they used glass on that 3' span many people would be leaning on it and cracking it. Plus im sure its cheaper

You might have something there re first sentence, and definitely have something there with the second. I used to set live rock on the center brace of my Oceanic Ultimate 156 while aquascaping or deep cleaning substrate beneath it to release gunk, and one day I came home and found the back edge of the brace had separated from the rear wall of the tank (silicone separated) and it was hanging half into the water. Mighty lucky that the Zippi cooling fans I had sitting on the brace didn't hit the water, too (though they came close).

They have 2 braces with 3 openings so u can place 3 mh on top and they will b evenly spaced and not over a brace

+1 I'd do this. My tank is an AGA from 1996 and the plastic braces are still intact if that helps. If you don't put a light directly over it, you should be fine.

Yes those plastic braces do fail. My first tank was a 55 gal Marineland and the center piece on it broke. It was easily fixed with a piece of stainless steel and a couple of rivets. That tank is still in use by a friend.

I don't know how the center brace cracked. I don't know if someone set something on it or it dry rotted.

The marineland DD 300 has 2 braces. F&S were selling the Marineland standard tanks with the Marineland metal halide 24 hour system as parts of a kit, and I bought the 150 gal kit, with SINGLE center brace. The MH melted that within a week. Marineland replaced the tank under warranty with a 150 gal with two braces, and that has been running for a year now with the 3 metal halides with no issues. So, if that is your worry, I would say the 2 center plastic braces in combination with a 3 MH light system should be fine.

Now, whether a plastic brace going across that 36" depth in a DD is strong enough, well, that's another question altogether.

There was a ML DD 300 tank for sale on Craigslist, unused, with the cabinet, for about 1500. Good price, but I just didn't want to risk the plastic under MH's so took a pass. (Will save me the effort of trying to get all 460 pounds of it down the stairs to the basement, with the 45 degree turn at the mid-flight landing!)

There was a ML DD 300 tank for sale on Craigslist, unused, with the cabinet, for about 1500. Good price, but I just didn't want to risk the plastic under MH's so took a pass. (Will save me the effort of trying to get all 460 pounds of it down the stairs to the basement, with the 45 degree turn at the mid-flight landing!)

I don't get it. If you are looking for a 300 gal tank and stand, the weight should not be the issue. Plastic or any other brace, it would have weighed the same. Price for new ML 300 DD that comes standard with starphire glass, unused, with likely the Monterey cabinet, is a steal. IMO, you missed out on a great deal. If this is anywhere close to NE Ohio, I will buy it myself! Which Craigslist region is this for for sale at? I couldn't find it in the DC area Craigslist.

I used to run dual 400's over my 75 gal for over 5 years and the plastic trim is still the same as it was when new. as stated as long as the MH's arn't directly over top the plastic you will be fine.

I don't get it. If you are looking for a 300 gal tank and stand, the weight should not be the issue. Plastic or any other brace, it would have weighed the same. Price for new ML 300 DD that comes standard with starphire glass, unused, with likely the Monterey cabinet, is a steal. IMO, you missed out on a great deal. If this is anywhere close to NE Ohio, I will buy it myself! Which Craigslist region is this for for sale at? I couldn't find it in the DC area Craigslist.

Apparently it's been sold. Weight had nothing to do with my concern over plastic; all I was saying was that by passing on the offer, I won't have to worry about getting that heavy of a tank downstairs.

Back