Ready to start adding Corals but....

reice05

What other things do I need to buy? I got my FOWLR up and running for a few months now. I got a saltwater API test kit but i'm sure Ima need to get a diffrent test kit, what should I be looking for test kit wise? Other than that I'm lost.

You need to test cal, alk, and mag. What type of lighting do you have? What type of fish do you have now?

Just get going. Coral are easier than fish - you don't have to feed and they don't get ich. Get some xenia, mushrooms, kenia tree, colt, toadstool - these will make you hobby more interesting and lively.
I would stop worrying about params for now - soft corals will let you know if something is up. Yo can always get water samples to a closest LFS - they will measure everything for free and correctly.

Not all fish stores measure for free. Some charge for calcium and alkalinity tests. I also would not trust them with my testing. I would rather verify my self and use them as a second opinion if my test seemed funny.

Just get going. Coral are easier than fish - you don't have to feed and they don't get ich. Get some xenia, mushrooms, kenia tree, colt, toadstool - these will make you hobby more interesting and lively.
I would stop worrying about params for now - soft corals will let you know if something is up. Yo can always get water samples to a closest LFS - they will measure everything for free and correctly.

Woah, woah, woah. Slow your role playa...

Depending on the types of corals the OP is wanting some take a tremendous amount of care. Some corals do indeed need to be fed. Corals like xenia and kenya trees are(IMO) like weeds and should be avoided if at all possible. Making sure your parameters are in line is important, as TrollDoll pointed out, its a good idea to measure Ca, ALK, and Mg. Along with PO4 NO3 and Ammonia and PH.

Take it slow and get some hardy corals to begin with. Make sure your water and all params are in order before adding any corals and that will help the longevity of your system.

HTH

Good luck

I got 2 b/w clowns, 2 green chromis, purple firefish, sixline wrasse, yellow eye Kole tang. And it's a 75g with Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w. If all,cal, or mag is off how do u bring up or down to desired level

Do some research on dosing systems, like calcium reactors, and kalk wasser. If you are very consistant with working on your tank you can dose calcium and kalk yourself with a simple drip system, if not there are dosing systems that can do that for you. When looking for coral find out what they eat because they do, some only need phyto, some like meety food like oyster eggs. Some coral also need iodine so decide what one coral you want is, and research just the one so you know what the requirements are before you invest in it. A good place to start are mushrooms and star pollups. Take your time and keep asking the good questions.

B-Willz has some very good advice there for you. And he lives in a great place!! :thumbsup:

Research, research, research

Thanks Spleify, I wish I knew of RC when I got started, could have saved so much money. 8 years later and still learning.

Thanks Spleify, I wish I knew of RC when I got started, could have saved so much money. 8 years later and still learning.

I'm working on 20 years and sometimes I feel like I just started.

Yeah it would have been great to have RC when I got started too.

Back