Really low Calcium in NSW

goochesfish

Just tested batch of Bruightwell Neomarin salt and found the Ca was 4. Using Salifert test kit, my aquarium is 430.

Should I mix new or supplement this batch, or maybe it's not done mixing after 12 hours? SG is 1.025 kH=8.8

I divide a bucket of salt into smaller containers to make 25 gallon batches at a time. Do you think the minerals are not evenly distributed if done this way?

Do you really mean 4 ppm? I suspect some sort of testing or mixing error. If the reading is accurate, I'd return the salt or ditch it. If it's off that far, something very bad happened.

You might also try mixing the dry salt up as much as possible, in case there was some settling issue, too.

Yes 4 ppm. The color changed to blue after only a few drops. It's not a testing error cause I checked twice and checked against the water in my tank which was 430. I noticed that when I did my water change last week my tank water was 320 so that's why I decided to check the newly mixed batch.

Your title specifies NSW. Are you testing Natural Sea Water, or Bruightwell Neomarin mixed salt water?

It could be, that in the bucket, minerals have shifted, according to weight. I'd mix all of your separate containers back together, in the original bucket, and stir it up really well, and try again.

If you continue getting a reading of 4ppm, definitely return the salt mix.

I have never seen a synthetic salt mix that low in calcium. If you are sure your testing procedures are correct, I would return the bucket for a refund.

I have heard of batches where the minerals were not mixed evenly in a 50 gallon bucket. You might get a very high level with a later batch.

Back