Really simple frag plugs and how to make them.

Here is my take on it.

He makes these frag plugs, has an epiphany and decides to share it with RC. After he realizes what he has done, because he is a scrupulous underground coral fragger, he decides not to give any potential competition this idea to further their own causes and deletes all the photos.

DING DING DING

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15552001#post15552001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bristle
Here is my take on it.

He makes these frag plugs, has an epiphany and decides to share it with RC. After he realizes what he has done, because he is a scrupulous underground coral fragger, he decides not to give any potential competition this idea to further their own causes and deletes all the photos.

DING DING DING

Bingo.

Lesson learned Kraylen? If your in this hobby for a business, dont frequent any hobbyist forum.

Crap will hit the fan, and it will be bad for you. Not if, but when.

i know the guy who makes the "frag stations" and he does it at his house up in the greenbay area of wi. he sells them all over ...if you havent seen them your out of the loop...they are VERY popular!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15553433#post15553433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customcolor
i know the guy who makes the "frag stations" and he does it at his house up in the greenbay area of wi. he sells them all over ...if you havent seen them your out of the loop...they are VERY popular!!

Never heard of them, must be out of the loop.

Ive actually been doing this for some time now, never thought to share, thought it was kinda primitive. oh wel learn someting new every day. also, what i do, and in respect to the video, i add a thin layer of sand to the bottom of the container, so if the glue does drip through its even easier to remove, also, i sprinkle some fine sand on it before i compress it, fills in all the gaps. HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15542691#post15542691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
The cement ones take so darn long to fully cure. I have some that are still sitting in the back of my toilet go on 2 months now that aren't cured yet.

If I drop some in a cup of RO/DI water and let sit overnight and then check the water parameters the ALK isn't bad. At the 2 month mark it is down to 11. BUT - the PH is still off the charts.

I vote the cement route too. I have found if you DO NOT soak the plugs (or rock for that matter) for 2, YES 2, months minimum the swing is minimal. I have tested this with Type I from Lowe's/HD with no problem after letting the 'crete set for a couple months. The kure then takes maybe 3-4 weeks and they're slighlty elevated above current tank condition. I've never crashed a tank with these and for $15 (including tax) I have enough sand and portland to make ~60lbs of plugs = 3000 plugs.

The SG plugs are great if your in a pinch, but one weekend session of 'crete plug making can make enough nearly for a lifetime.

If anyone is in doubt, when I return home from biz travel can send you a sample of a fresh batch for you to see how the swing is minimized with the extended set time before the kure. This IS not a proposition for sale of these plugs, only a sample of another fellow reefer's DIY project. PM if interested.

Back