Rearranging live rock

twagshot

I have had my tank going for about 9 months. I would like to rearrange and remodel my live rock. Is there any hazards I should be aware of?

Thanks!!!!

Dropping a rock on a fish.
Poking a formiferan thru your finger.
Having your wife and kids go crazy about the time you have half of your rock out of the tank.
Have fun!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842806#post12842806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by down and outman

Having your wife and kids go crazy about the time you have half of your rock out of the tank.
Tell me about it. This WILL happen. LOL

Plan for it to take twice as long as you thought it would. Something will happen that you didn't expect.

Also I had a tub with water, power head, and heater. When distractions came up I was covered and did not have to rush.

Re: Rearranging live rock

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842594#post12842594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twagshot
I have had my tank going for about 9 months. I would like to rearrange and remodel my live rock. Is there any hazards I should be aware of?

Thanks!!!!

If you don't rearrange the rock that is closest to the sand bed--thus disturbing it you should be fine
You might want to run a micron filter sock over the drain while doing this to help the skimmer with pulling debris ect out of the water column

I'm going to be aqua-scaping 200# of liverock that's just been freshly cured, does anyone have and advice on the amount of time it can be safely out of water? We plan on doing a lot of intricate work with the rock so it may take a few hours.

There is no sand or animals in the tank, the skimmer is running and the rock has all been cleaned.

any time you the rock out of water there will be some die off try a rubber maid tube with water to stop the die off or just let tank cycle again

Get a tub full of heated water for when you need a break. (You will need a break)
and it will take twice as long as you expect, that is no lie :)
The filter sock helps a lot and I like to run carbon
Other than that have fun

Back