Reason #5 why I like mushrooms...

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
So I had some shrooms shaken off their rocks during shipping, and I used a couple of days to get them collected in the sump and ensconced on a curved rock/shell/old piece of coral, whatever likes under the concretions...which they obligingly did, reattaching themselves. Three rhodactis.

I set the piece in what should have been a secure spot. Give or take the gargantuan snails that prowl my tank. They're about 2", heavy shells, and persistent. There is absolutely no deterring a snail short of moving them across the tank manually, but then, whatever attracted them may attract them again. ---And this monster snail in the dead of night managed to knock that rock of bullseye rhodactis off its perch and face down in the beandip, so to speak: at least in a deep recess in the rock. Wedging the shell bit into the space down within 5" of the bottom and betweeen two monster structural rocks.

But these are rhodactis---tough beggars. I put off moving the monster triangular canopy and going after the fallen rock with giant tweezers until, oh, about 4-ish. And when I checked---there's a brave little rhodactis doggedly crawling over the edge and forcing its way past the big rocks. Score points to the rhodactis. The piece is ok where it its, and I think i can trust these little fellows to crawl up to the light. Self-saving coral. There's a lot to like with these fellows. To a certain extent if you give them a position with more and less light, they will vote with their little feet and reposition themselves where they will do best.

Last edited:
Back