Rebirth of my 120g tank

Ginzo

I recently moved in my new house. I had to move my 120g tank, from my small loft to the basement of my new house. Not an easy task, since my stand was too big to fit through most standard doors. So I decided to modify my stand and to completely re-do my reef aquarium. Decided to go with the "rimless tank" design, since I previously had a bulky (but nice) canopy sitting on my tank that unfortunately made the maintenance of my tank very difficult.

Well without delay, here's the beginning of the rebirth of my 120g tank. Before pics, let's get to the specs:

Tank: 120g 3-sided Starfire, external overflow, (1/2" sheet Sch 80 PVC on the bottom)
Stand: DIY 9 layers of Minwax stain and 3 layers of Polyethurane (spelling ?)
Sump: 35 gallons DIY glass sump
Plumbing: mix of 1 1/2" and 1" Sch 80 plumbing, Hayward bulkheads and Ball-valve
Skimmer: BubbleKing Mini 160
Filter: 100 micron filter-bags
Carbon: Deltec FR509 with RowaCarbon
Pumps: Eheim 1260, Eheim 1250, Eheim 1248
Chiller/Heater: Peltech Oceans 400
Flow: 2 x Tunze 6101
Controller: Profilux
Livestock: Not much yet...

TO BE:
Lights: ATI Powermodule 8x54w T5

Here's some pics:

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

Last edited:

cdan

nice looking tank, is the tank from your previous setup? and did it always have the eurobracing?

Ginzo

it's the same tank from my previous setup, just that it's been cleaned-up :)

It has an eurobracing around it, with six 1" holes. I like it that way, since I don't need to worry about water spilling, etc. Overall, I'm really happy with the look, the pictures just don't do it justice.

It will be really nice once I get my ATI pendant, suspended over the tank. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12225495#post12225495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdan
nice looking tank, is the tank from your previous setup? and did it always have the eurobracing?

Ginzo

Currently, I'm using Tropic Marin Pro salt, but I'm looking for my next batch of salt, to switch over to ZEOvit Reefer's Best Coral Salt.

Also, looking at adding between 30-50 lbs for Live Rock in the next weeks.

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
Nice Tank, I'm doing a similar setup but going with a 6 bulb unit from ATI (got it cheap, may buy additional 2 or 4 bulb unit) and a ATB Skimmer.

How do you like your Profilux controller? I'm looking for a controller and that one is on the top of my list, right under the RKE (if it *ever* comes out).

ConcreteReefer

In Memoriam
You have to do something with that cart w/ all your equipment on it though.. Kind of an eyesore sitting next to that beautiful stand.

Ginzo

Thanks ! I was also looking at the ATI Powermodule, but there's too much waiting time involved. So I'm going with the Sfiligoi T5 pendant 8x54w.

I love the Profilux controller. It's pretty much set and forget and high quality. I need to update the firmware and get it connected to my WLAN. The Aquatronica also seems nice...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266818#post12266818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ConcreteReefer
Nice Tank, I'm doing a similar setup but going with a 6 bulb unit from ATI (got it cheap, may buy additional 2 or 4 bulb unit) and a ATB Skimmer.

How do you like your Profilux controller? I'm looking for a controller and that one is on the top of my list, right under the RKE (if it *ever* comes out).

Ginzo

Actually, it's much better looking in person. I like the cart, since it gives me easy access to all the electronic equipment. Also, since I'm an equipment junkie, I like to have my gadgets in eyesight :D

With the Sfiligoi stainless steel look, it should be very nice !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266837#post12266837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ConcreteReefer
You have to do something with that cart w/ all your equipment on it though.. Kind of an eyesore sitting next to that beautiful stand.

dogstar74

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12225347#post12225347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ginzo
IMG_1693.jpg

Sorry, but this looks like an overflow waiting to happen. I know how long it takes to fill a RM tub with RO water. And there is plenty of time to forget it during, "the game", dinner, Honey do project. Etc. And then when you finally do remember that you've got water cooking, it's all over the floor.

Get that fixed, and this will be a really great setup. I like the cart on the side. Not my style, but I wouldn't call it an eyesore.

Aaron

Ginzo

hehe I know what you mean ! Believe me, it's happened in the past, I woke up at 4h00 am to realize I had left the RO/DI on..oups ! :eek1:

In any case, it's not really a "big" problem, since I have the basement drain right beside the Rubbermaid garbage can. It doesn't show in the pic, but it's right there :) So in case I forget to close the RO/DI, a small amount will end up in the drain. Also, I got an overflow screameter, if it detects water on the floor, it SCREAMS :)

Thanks for the comments otherwise :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12268163#post12268163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dogstar74
Sorry, but this looks like an overflow waiting to happen. I know how long it takes to fill a RM tub with RO water. And there is plenty of time to forget it during, "the game", dinner, Honey do project. Etc. And then when you finally do remember that you've got water cooking, it's all over the floor.

Get that fixed, and this will be a really great setup. I like the cart on the side. Not my style, but I wouldn't call it an eyesore.

Aaron

Ginzo

Just realized that you can actually see the basement drain..here's the updated pic:

IMG_1693.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12268200#post12268200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ginzo
hehe I know what you mean ! Believe me, it's happened in the past, I woke up at 4h00 am to realize I had left the RO/DI on..oups ! :eek1:

In any case, it's not really a "big" problem, since I have the basement drain right beside the Rubbermaid garbage can. It doesn't show in the pic, but it's right there :) So in case I forget to close the RO/DI, a small amount will end up in the drain. Also, I got an overflow screameter, if it detects water on the floor, it SCREAMS :)

Thanks for the comments otherwise :)

Ginzo

Did my "weekly maintenance" on the weekend:

1. Changed out my 100 micron filter sock with a new sock
  2. Washed & bleached that sock for the next round
  3. Replaced the RowaCarbon in the FR509 filter, plan on running the carbon for another day or two and stopping for a month
  4. Cleaned out the skimmer
    [/list=1]

I'm also going to be doing a 25-30g water change every 1-2 weeks, depending on my schedule.

Ginzo

I need to get a new home for my Clowns, since my Rose Bubble Tip Anemone died during the move :(

Last night, I was beside the tank and I heard a "splash". One of the clowns had decided to make the leap, but instead he hit the euro-brace. I saw him go "crazy"..going in every possible direction until finally landing under one of the rocks. I was sure he was going to die there :( ..but after a good 5-10 minutes, he "wiggled out" and he seemed back to normal.

So I'm going to get a new anemone for them ASAP, since it saddens me to see them in such a state ! :(

i2ik

Looking good Ginzo! Now that you moved, you should add more rocks to your aquascape! :)

i2ik

I still have to get used to my controller. I found out the CD installer the other day, i will have to play around once school is over, which i cant wait!!! Good thing on the Sifligoi T5 pendant! I would love to come by have a look at it if possible!

Ginzo

Yup, believe me it's the next step.

Actually, I've been looking for "good quality rock" in Montreal, but there's none to find. The only possible place, is at Octopus, but it's 15$ a pound :eek1: and there's no way I will be paying that another time (made that mistake once). Any suggestions ? :)

i2ik

I would go with any sulawesi rocks you see on the forums in our area. Since you already have some really well populated rocks from John, you just need to fill up your tank with a nice porous rock and it will start to spread to the new rocks. You will end up buying some rocks at 5$/pounds which is pretty good price IMO :p, compare to that 15$/pounds!