Receding Torch Coral?

maxxin69

I had recently purchased a Torch coral from my LFS and it has been slowly receding. SG is 1.026, and Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity are all within normal boundaries. Any suggestions as of why? I'm still in the learning process of this.

tagging along for this one. I have a branching torch with 3 heads. I wasnt paying attention one time during a water changed and sucked up part of one head into the hose. Since then the whole piece of coral hasnt seemed the same. I would think that the other 2 heads would still be the same, but maybe not. Either way i'm sure itll recover.
Also, my water is much cleaner now, before nitrate was around 40 ppm and phosphate at 0.6 now nitrate is at 12 and phosphate at 0.07 (still working on it, shooting for 10 nitrate and 0.03ish for phosphate).

I had the same problem and posted - got some good ideas. Look up the thread on this board. Anyway, after months and months of fiddling with posts, pictures and such, I figured out a few things - I raised the flow and started adding a little Strontium to the water and the torch perked right up.

Both shouldn't be high, I just did a water change not even a week ago.

Sometimes values go crazy without apparent reasons...
I would check it just for Peace of mind.
If all is well could be circulation lack of or excess, witch generality is the case.
If not that try lighting, try changing it's placement .

If none check if it as any parasite or and give it a dip with coral rx or some product of your choosing.

What's up with my torch?

What's up with my torch?

Purchase the torch about a week ago, placed it near my frogspawn and hammer, but not within touching distance. It was newly fragged from my LFS about four days before I purchased it. I don't know what my calcium and magnesium and such are at but I have been doing 3G water changes every three days because I swapped everything over from one tank to the next and was getting a small amount of nitrates. Everything else in my tank is doing great, so I'm assuming it's just the torch was destined to not do well?

Is it too far gone now?

Well I turned the white channel way down on my lights and it seems to like that. I have a fair amount of light in a small tank for the sps's so I'm thinking it just needs a bit less light.. At least for a little while. Hopefully it servives.

I actually think he was in too much flow. I turned down the lights about 20% and moved him to a lower flow section of the tank and it seems to have helped a lot.

Back