recommend a good skimmer

I used to run the Octopus BH100 but the large pump inside the tank was unsightly. Very efficient skimmer though. I recently switched to the Aquamaxx HOB1 and am very happy with it.

I love my Aquamaxx-1 HOB. I love the look, the sound, the amount of poop.

A few words of warning. Get the new version with the bubble guard. I have been running mine for a month now and I still have bubble issues, and make sure it will fit on your lip. After all my research it was 1/4" off.

make sure the bubble tip fits your location if that is route you wish to go. I am in a biocube and it would not readily fit in my rear chamber. It now sits in my parts bin...

I got around all bubbles by draining into my media rack which works perfectly.

I had the CPR bakpak. It was good pulling out gunk but it was never ending with the microbubbles. I hear the Aqua C Remora is great.

eshopps and aquamaxx are both good, i like the eshopps better it pulls darker skimmate for me plus bigger pump

Bigger pump is not always better... Need to find the right size body with the right size pump for your system particularly if going with the popular needle wheels. Some good brands that don't break the bank that I like or have liked or generally get great reviews are Aquamaxx/JNS, seaside aquatics, eshopps, vertex, ATB, and some reef octopus. ATB being the most expensive on there but they are very well balanced and great quality. Seaside probably the cheapest as they use bubble magus bodies but use a much better pump that they match up well with the body. Aquamaxx/JNS and Vertex just gets consistantly good reviews and seem well balanced with a good pump. Eshopps some of their skimmers have good pumps but the one I had was a cheap pump with a mesh wheel I didn't like. Reef Octopus generally gets good reviews too but have to watch out for the pump being to big for the body but generally good brand.

Besides all that my favorite hob skimmer I had used on my 55g was a bubble magus.

Edit: It was this one
http://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_M...kimmers-Bubble_Magus-4W05002-FIPSHONW-vi.html
Though it was quite, produced very well, and best balance to my tank and bioload I still don't like the atman pump it comes with as they don't have the most reliable track record. Just FYI full disclosure.

Last edited:
I've had the eshopps on a 65 gal for over a year. Works great.

Does the psk-100h still come with the mesh wheel? I had that one and it was a good skimmer except for the mesh wheel I didn't like as it would collect debris way to easily compared to needle wheels.

Does the psk-100h still come with the mesh wheel? I had that one and it was a good skimmer except for the mesh wheel I didn't like as it would collect debris way to easily compared to needle wheels.

It does, and I do have to keep it rinsed very well. If I start to have trouble at all the first thing I do is rinse it. Since I have a canister filter, I make sure I do a water change every 2 weeks, usually if I rinse it very well at each water change, I don't have any problems.

It does, and I do have to keep it rinsed very well. If I start to have trouble at all the first thing I do is rinse it. Since I have a canister filter, I make sure I do a water change every 2 weeks, usually if I rinse it very well at each water change, I don't have any problems.

Yeah, besides that it was a good skimmer. Very similar to the NAC5e except the NAC5e has a needle wheel.

Back