Recommendations for excellent acrylic algae scrapers?

S Helinski

Hi everyone,

I keep meaning to post pictures of my current aquarium in El Paso, but the damn simple green algae keeps getting the acrylic dirty!

Anyways, I have tried a number of different cheapo algae scrapers for acrylic, and none of them work great. I need a good one!

Whats the best scraper for acrylic? The mag float for acrylic is garbage. I need one that can remove green semi-calciferious algae...

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

I remember Melevsreef suggesting scrap acrylic pieces for scraping algae. That suggestion may not have been for acrylic tanks though. I can't think of anyone who knows more about acrylic tanks than him. I'd search for his posts with "algae scrapper."

Not as convenient as a Mag Float, but Scotch Dobie pads are inexpensive, work well, and don't scratch the acrylic. (You will get your hands wet though...)

scotch-brite-dobie.jpg

I use an old credit card for my tank....you'll get wet but if your like me you probably will have your hands in there anyways.

Great minds think alike!

Great minds think alike!

Scott- have you ever tried mounting one of those pads on a magnet?

I actually have cut open the Dobie and removed the inner sponge. The mesh exterior fits nicely around the business side of the Magfloat. It works great for daily cleaning, but sometimes you need to put some elbow grease into it and get your hands wet to remove stubborn corallines. :lol:

flipper for acrylic might be a good solution

flipper for acrylic might be a good solution

might wanna research this.

IMO/IME the Kent Proscraper with plastic blade attachment is fairly useless in large aquariums and using a credit card for scraping acrylic is out of the question.

ya i also have the kent scraper and like you said it is pretty useless, the flipper on the other hand works quite nicely. the blades do wear fairly quickly if you are scraping coraline off the sides but with just regular algea it last a long time.

Back