recommendations for quite pump?

DrDNA

hey all,

I have been running a Reeflo marlin return pump on my system for a couple years and it was a decent pump. It started to sound like it was going to throw a bearing or something, so I went back to the pumps I used to run, the Iwaki's. I put an Iwaki MD100 on my tank but the noise is quite annoying... for whatever reason, I can really hear the high pitched whine of it, but my wife says it it's okay (she's either tone deaf or just being nice...).

what would you guys recommend for a real quiet return pump? I have a fair amount of head as the return line is routed through an inline chiller on the other side of the wall. I had both the marlin and iwaki throttled back... I was thinking about maybe a Hammerhead which might give me about the same amount of flow at the returns since they are a high volume pump but it drops off quickly as they aren't really a pressure rated pump... decisions decisions....

jeff

Jeff I just had to send My Baracuda to Reeflo and have the bearings replaced.
If you want the info PM me.
As for the Hammer head thats a good choice.
John at Your Reef had a used one awhile back I dont know if he sold it Think he wanted like $100.00 for it would be worth checking out instead of buying a new one JMO

The China brand one that Aqua Works sells for $99 bucks makes ZERO noise and pumps a bunch of water. It comes with a bunch of fittings and extra o rings. A great value! I've been using mine now for six months and not a peep out of it.

I've had bad luck with my quiet one. It does not restart once stopped unless I jam something into the impeller to try and get it going again.

Although I've not used a eheim personally, their reviews are excellent, and when I start my new setup, that's the route I'll be going.

eheim for sure, but it probably won't be strong enough for you.
if you need something stronger but silent, look into the red dragon pumps.

do you know who carries them? haven't heard of this brand before...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15580268#post15580268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
Flowstar

Back