Recommended skimmer for 65 Gallon with no sump

jgerrish

Looking for recommendations about a HOB skimmer

I have a 65 gallon tank with LPS, softies, and 5 small fish and no sump. I do have a HOB CPR Medium Refugium on there. I currently use a CPR backpak HOB skimmer and don't collect much junk...some days I collect 1/2 inch only in the collection cup and once in a while I get more than 1/2 the collection cup full in a single day. I added the accela pump, but don't see much difference. I play with levels and air flow without much difference either.

What do you guys recommend for a skimmer? I'm willing to spend more for a larger capacity skimmer (in case I ever upgrade the tank). Should I first try to drill this tank and add a sump so I can expand my skimmer options?

Thanks,
jason

Should I first try to drill this tank and add a sump so I can expand my skimmer options?

Thanks,
jason[/QUOTE]

This would be the best way to expand your options.

then again its not just the skimmers that make drilling great, there are many reasons why we say DRILL
you can
1) upgrade the size of your refugium
2) you can hide way more equipment and possibly add on more later on.
3) it adds more stability to the system via added water volume
4) helps skim your surface via the overflow box
5) can help drop the temperature a couple degrees which really help i those summer months
6)provides a consistent water level so your display tank doesnt fluctuate due to evaportation
7) you can pour in your additives in there, its a better place to mix before it goes into your display.

p.s. - almost forgot, those u tube siphon overflows are just too scary, and its just one more thing that can flood your nice floor. so stay AWAY

Last edited:
If you aren't going to add a sump then mod up your bakpac. Justt add a wooden airstone to the bubble chamber with an adjustable air pump. $25 and it will work wonders

I ran a Tunze 9010 internally on a sumpless 65g tank. I had some microbubbles in the tank, but it wasn't too bad. It was an sps dominant tank and worked beautifully. I didn't have enough space for a good hang-on. I used an AquaC Remora prior and it wasn't nearly as good.

You can see it in the back left corner:
20081210_0019.jpg

I ran a Tunze 9010 internally on a sumpless 65g tank. I had some microbubbles in the tank, but it wasn't too bad. It was an sps dominant tank and worked beautifully. I didn't have enough space for a good hang-on. I used an AquaC Remora prior and it wasn't nearly as good.

You can see it in the back left corner:
20081210_0019.jpg

Very nice!

If I HAD TO run sumpless for some reason (I cant think of one) I would use the Tunze. Its in tank rather than HOB and cant overflow all over the floor like an HOB skimmer.

Nice looking tank BTW!

Last edited:
Back