Recommended tank flow for coral

AwesomeDavid

So I have a 75 gal reef tank, currently with a BTA, two mushrooms, and a blasto. So far they are all doing fine, but I did only add them 4 days ago. I was wondering what you would recommend for flow rate. Every source I have seen ether says x10 gph or x20 gph as a minimum. It seems to be 50/50, and I am not sure which is right. :fun5: Which would you recommend? I currently have about 900 gph flow rate in my tank. Thanks.

I have a 75 gallon with various softies and LPS. I also have a BTA. I do 20x and seems to keep everyone happy.

If they come out and are happy, you'll know. They will usually tell you what they need. Much more flow for SPS but softies, as long as a power head or whatever you're using isn't blowing right on it, it'll do fine. Think about how turbulent a natural Rees is with wave break and currents. Nuff said

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So far everything is open and looks healthy. I do have a turbulent area where my powerhead and filter output meet, and that's where the BTA decided to settle.

If they come out and are happy, you'll know. They will usually tell you what they need. Much more flow for SPS but softies, as long as a power head or whatever you're using isn't blowing right on it, it'll do fine. Think about how turbulent a natural Rees is with wave break and currents. Nuff said

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This ^

Alright, since everything is doing ok for now, I may add another powerhead once I get more corals (like xenia and ricordea). Also my BTA decided to not inflate his tentacles. Is that a problem?

Alright, since everything is doing ok for now, I may add another powerhead once I get more corals (like xenia and ricordea). Also my BTA decided to not inflate his tentacles. Is that a problem?

Nope. You will find they take all sorts of concerning shapes and forms throughout their life span.

I have about 65X flow in my tank. The issue is not actual flow, it is how you design the flow. I did my best to not direct the powerheads/wavemakers directly on the the rock work. They all point towards the surface and flow run into each other. This generates good turbulent flow all around the tank but nothing is blasted. Fish can swim easily and coals do not retract their polyps due to excessive flow. I also have no detritus accumulating anywhere so flow is pretty well spread. You should look at how your flow is working. You can achieve it with much less flow or much more flow depending on your rock work.

Tripod1404 this is a picture of my rockwork. It is from before I added my corals. The flow is great on the top and on the right side, but not so much on the lower left side.

Attachments

• IMG_6231.jpg
    IMG_6231.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
Back