Red algae: out of control

nabee24

My tank has been established for 2+ years and for about a month now, I have been battling red algae. My lights are on for 9 hours, I feed twice daily, do 5-10 gal weekly water changes with ro/di water. My lights are new. I tested my water levels and my nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, phosphate are all at 0. I siphon most of it that covers that rocks and sand bed. Tank is not near windows. I have to admit, there are detritus materials underneath the red algae, how do I get them out? Any advice? I was told that I can't mix through the sand bed when I am doing water changes.

Get a pair of aquagloves, do not place your bare hands in the tank. Increase flow, change a good amount of water, siphon out the algae and also siphon the first 1/2 to 1 inch of the sandbed along with running a phosban reactor

What is your flow? By red algae I assume you mean cyanobacteria. It thrives under low flow.

Phosban will remove the nutrients it needs too.

I have a bag with phosguard and matrix carbon. The bag is placed in sump with highest waterflow. Should I still get the phosban reactor?

I have 2 mj mods already, so I should get another one?

Back