Red Asparagus Algae

Calculon

Hi there.

I have quite limited experience in saltwater tanks. When I was in my teens (much older now) I had a 20G saltwater tank which lasted for about 5-6 months before it crashed. I had many different fresh water tanks for many years - but I found the experience between fresh water and salt water not even close (salt water was imo much much harder to maintain).

Anyhoo.

I'm looking to do something a little 'outside the norm' so Im hoping I can get some advice and information.

I would like to grow Red Asparagus Algae for culinary purposes. I understand (from limited research) that this is a very difficult form of Algae to grow. Im not really interested in fish/coral but I will have them as well if I need to in order to develop a proper eco-system (which I suspect is required).

Could anyone tell me if they have experience growing Red Asparagus Algae? I understand it needs to be attached to rocks and have a significant current.

Does anyone know where its possible to get some? Reefcleaners lists it but I contacted them and they dont sell it.

Eventually I would like to try after I have a tank setup and it cycles etc and I feel my research is in a spot where I have some idea of what Im doing.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ron Reefman

I didn't find much when I googled it. Can you provide some links to info like a scientific name or resellers?

I saw one post that said it's Indo Pacific and Mediterranean algae which could mean it would need to be imported to have for sale in the US?

jayball

https://www.reefcleaners.org/growing-guides That seems like a lot of effort, FWIW there are some gracillia and other edible macro algas you can grow while tumbling that would be easier. There was a guy on here a while back that was doing it for profit, supplying regional fancy restaurants with it.

I would not keep coral, especially soft coral, in a tank with anything you would eat. I would worry about the possibility of toxins building up in the water effecting the growth or consumeability of what I am harvesting.

Good luck.

jraker

I think you might mean Asparagopsis Taxiformis. Does this look right: http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookasparagopsis.htm
6qh1rNB2g4.jpg