Red Bugs.. My Expierence.

OzoneParkGuy

Well as much as I Dip all my corals that I purchase and sometimes get. These small creatures can become elusive and enter your sytem and become a problem in our reefs.
So this is my story on Red Bugs(Tegastes acroporanus).
I would say about 45 days ago I began noticing issue's with my Acropora sp corals (Tri Color Valida, Australian Delicate,Turquoise Stag, PearlBerry, Aqua Delight,Blue Turaki,Ice Fire Enchinata and a few others) that all started to loose there vibrant colors. Upon closer inspection, I noticed small orange/copper colored bugs crawling on them... polyps began receeding, and growth was at a standstill, more so on others. So I began dipping my corals in Coral RX, half strength. I watched as these little buggers came off and began moving irratically and dying. Boy did I enjoy that. But that was only the begining. I turkey basted gently as not to blow the skin off the smooth skinned acro's & I left the corals in the coral RX for a max time of 10 minutes. With-in those 10 minutes I bleached out a 20K Lokani and a Blue/Green Turaki mini colony.. So I advise agaist using Coral RX on extremely Sensitive Acropora sp species. I did more reasearch on-line and found a ton of info about these Red Bugs and how to rid them using Interceptor.

During this past week, I drove to a number of Vet places a few in Qns and a few in Bklyn and told them of my tale of the dreaded Reef Bugs. The vets were amazed to hear about this story and the so called cure for it. However there was one problem... the Vets that I had visited did not carry the pills... they had some other Heartworm medication made by Frontline and it had a different active ingredient other than Milbemycin Oxime the main ingredient in Interceptor . The vets were kind enough to refer me to Pet Meds and told me that they would call in the order for me, to help me out.. but I was too desperate to wait and needed them now... not in 7 days. (So the Vets are willing to help if you speak to them). I did find one location in Brooklyn that had the pills... but after hearing my story and them reading up on it on-line... they wanted $80.00 for the Box. You know what I said to my self... and walked out.

So I Then called a friend who has a Reef Tank and explained the situation. My friend stated come on over, that he had the pills because he has dogs! I was there in less than 30 minutes. LOL! Good to have Reefing Buddies!!!

The Dosage...
1 large Interceptor pill is 23mg, which treats a 380 gallon system.
4 5.75mg Interceptor pills is 25mg, which treats a 400 gallon system.
0.025mg per 10 gallons of water. Use of a digital scale to measure. Usually bought at a smoke shop.

I wanted the Red Bugs gone and dead, so I double dosed my system. Now I know a few people who have used the Interceptor who have done the same(doubled dosed) with no ill effects, and that was what I was going to do. 4 pills @ 5.75mg each for a total of 25mg for a 400 gallon system.

What I did was at 6:30 AM Tuesday. I crushed 4 Interceptor pills up with the back of the spoon untill it was a powder. I then preheated a cup of aquarium saltwater in the microwave and mixed it. I removed my airline tubing to the skimmer and just let it run without foam fractioning. I removed the filter socks and then disconnected the BRS Dual Reactors and cleaned them out and kept the cartridges submerged in RO water while I was out to work to kill off any red bugs.
At 7:00AM Tuesday I poured in the solution and got ready for work and left.
At 4:45PM Tuesday (9 hours 45 minutes later) I got home and peered inside to see the tank, thinking all I was about to see, was a completely bleached out, foul smelling tank and I was surprised to find all my fish and shrimps welcoming me home (Harley, Blue Coral Banded, cleaner and Fire).
Not a single solitary Red Bug in sight(nano scope)!! LOL!! Boy was I relieved!! Unfortunatly all the hermits and acro crabs were dead(as stated in the on-line articles, it will kill inverts).
I proceeded to do a 42 gallon water change with matching parameters and reconnected my airline tubing to the skimmer, added clean filter socks, and reconnected the BRS Dual Reactors filling with GFO & Carbon.

At 5:30PM Wed Corals appeared a little more vibrant than what they were. Fish are active and swimming. Shrimps still alive. NO RED BUGS! Tested Param's.
AT 4:15PM Thurs Same, NO RED BUGS!
At 6:00PM Fri Same, Coral polyps are begining to open up. So far so good!

I feel your pain as well as most guys into SPS. I've done battle with them a few times over the years. Just keep an eye out because many recommend dosing three seperate times over a few weeks span. ...only once I had to do a second dosage a week later, but glad to hear everything is doing well again.

Thanks buddy. :beer:
I have been contemplating the second dosage day to ensure (as the many articles state) that I kill off any newly hatched juv's in the event the interceptor does not affect the eggs(if there are any or if adult's are live bearer's). Hoping for the latter. Possibly Monday for the second dose.:hmm3:

Update...

Update...

Thanks Doc!

Sat, Sun & Mon... everything is in check and NO Red Bugs in sight. It has been 6 days since the double dosing of Interceptor and no ill effects of the dosing. Fish are all active and swimming.:fish2: Colors are starting to return... slowly but surely.:) Polyps are mostly out as well now. LPS & Softies were not affected at all.

If you are contemplating doing this procedure, and are unsure, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. You CAN NOT overdose your tank. I have tested this out.

To make it easier on your self... the day you do decide to dose, make sure it is a day you do your routine water changes so you can conserve water. Waste not... feel me.

I beleive I will be making this part of a bi yearly routine in dosing my tank as a precautionary measure.

Any questions.... just ask!:wavehand:

OzoneParkGuy, when is your next treatment? I would treat a total of three times to be safe. When I did two treatments they came back but it was at the recommended dosage. Also, you don't need to perform a water change anymore, that was when Dustin first wrote up the treatment. Interceptor is ineffective after 24 hours so all you need to do is add back your carbon and hook up the airline tubing to your skimmer. I started my treatment on Sunday to finally rid these bugs for good. I used a double dose and will do a total of four treatments. I also read that Red Bugs are not egg layers as once thought. Dustin wrote that the eggs would hatch every three to five days but in fact they are live bearers.

I've read that also, but I would do the WC anyway as well changing out the carbon often...it will only help.
OPG....I wouldn't do a treatment unless it really needs it because you will wiping out all the good lil critters too like pods etc...

Thanks for your reply & concern RickyRooz :thumbsup:
Right now I see no need for a second treatment dosage for a couple of reasons.
I am positively certain I have wiped out the Red Bugs(Tegastes acroporanus) with the double dosage running in my system for 9 hrs and 45 minutes. Second reason, I am maxed out on room. So I can not fit anymore SPS pieces in my tank. So that means no more purchases from members or LFS's. My pieces all just need to grow and fill out now. I find that the most common mistake in selecting SPS pieces is not knowing when enough is enough. LOL! So I'm happy with what selections I have made. So if I do not accuire anything, I will not get anything.:fun2:
Third reason for me. In the event they do come back soon...means either I didn't do it properly, I purchased another piece or there may be a different species that are hardier than others and I am not sure if the buggers will or have the ability to become resistant to the medication right away.. So I will wait it out and see.:eek2: It could also be the opposite for the future if I dose later, no one is certain, and that will have to be a chance I will have to take. Hopefully not. :spin1:

Last edited:
Yes another good point MikeNY... as I do have a Pterosynchiropus splendis.
As stated earlier, I did the w/c on a mandatory maintenence sched day. So it had to be done regardless(Bi-weekly w/c's).

Excellent article, Noel. Two questions-were there any losses other than crabs? What about snails/pods? And was there any noticeable difference in the behavior of the rest of the animals in the tank?

Excellent article, Noel. Two questions-were there any losses other than crabs? What about snails/pods? And was there any noticeable difference in the behavior of the rest of the animals in the tank?

Thank You Jeff... However I must be gratefull for all the TRUE Pioneers in this Hobby that came up with this solution. I just followed there guidelines and applied it to my OWN situation.

As far as losses, I guess it depends on which species(my mithrax aka emerald crab lived). Acro Crabs, Pods, Hermits(some, depends on age I guess), Sea Spiders, Shrimps(some.. mine all lived, again depends on age?)
What I found interesting (2 part answer to your question about behavior), was that the majority of Hermits that (Brown, Blue and Red) I had in the tank, the ones that I had the longest(they usually have the bigger shells) at about a year lived, while the others(smaller) died(as mentioned in all the write-ups). 2nd answer... The Hermits that did live were really sluggish and it took almost a week for them to start moving around. So keep an eye out on them as you may think they are dead when in fact they are alive.
As far as snails... I did not see an affect on them. Pods were affected. Whether or not I see a difference in population... I can not tell because they are always hiding and my Mandarine eats them. So I usually replenish every 6 months anyway.
I saw NO difference in behavior from my fishes.
TY for your questions Jeff... See ya soon!

What about the eggs, not sure if intercepter kills eggs
Hey Jarrett.. It's funny that you mention this because I've been thinking of this since dosing. In the write-ups that I have read.. they say they are egg layers. If indeed that is so, the life cycle is 3-5 days, the medication only last 24 hours, I only medicated my entire system(193 TWV) for 9hrs 45 minutes and then I did a 20% w/c and replaced the Carbon and GFO and reconnected my skimmer tubing. That means I stripped all the medication out of the system.. right? I hope so!! :spin3: Then I should have a new Red Bug infestation by now... :eek2: In which I DO NOT:bounce1:. That could really only mean two possibilities. The Interceptor does kills eggs or that they may not be egg layers as once thought. I really can not speak of the latter as I am not qualified... I only speak that of which I know of and have experience with.

I see no reason to be affraid of dosing with Interceptor.

I will use it as part of a routine maintenence preventative measure every 6 months, and also use it as a dip for any newly recieved SPS pieces.

GL to everyone !!

Last edited:
thats why they recommend a second and third dosage at a couple of weeks intervals because they don't know the incubation time or the life cycle ....now I recently read an article that these lil buggers maybe live bearers which is why many of us can do one dosage and kill them...and since they are crustations that is why all the pods, crabs, shrimps, hermits etc... are at risk also

thats why they recommend a second and third dosage at a couple of weeks intervals because they don't know the incubation time or the life cycle ....now I recently read an article that these lil buggers maybe live bearers which is why many of us can do one dosage and kill them...and since they are crustations that is why all the pods, crabs, shrimps, hermits etc... are at risk also

BINGO!!! Chances are I've read the same article aswell.. :smokin:

TY Mike!!!

I just added half a pill to my system around 75 gal water all hermits r dead shrimp looks ok
Should I add the second half of the pill I would like to dose once

Btw this is mattl22 on mr

Hey Matt long time... :wave: Hopefully you'll be joining us soon. Whenever your ready :beer:
Back to basics... I need a few answers from you. What size pill do you have? 5.75mg for medium dogs or the 23mg for large dogs? What is your TOTAL WATER VOLUME including water in the skimmer, sump, pipes and reactors? Use a guesstimate but try to be close. Make sure you at least follow what I have done or read the many on-line articles to help. From what you have posted you have already dosed. So I'm not sure what you have done. Your just throwing out a question with no history and I can not answer it and do not want to become liable or if something goes wrong and you say OPG told me to do it. I do have a reputation at stake... LOL! So more info is needed to help you out. If you want shoot me a pm with your cellular number so I can reach out to you.

What's up guys I just got home my cleaner made it my anenome crab aka ( porcelain crab ) aka mr fan hands who lives in my bubble coral made it I'm looking for my sexy shrimp he shares the bubble with mr fan hands have yet to seen him all of my hermits died
Should I try and remove all dead hermits?
Ohh and most importantly no sighn of red bugs and I can't believe the polyp extention can change so much over a day

Back