red cyanobacteria

ptr13

Can you remove cyano via ultra slimer remover? I am thinking it might be my RO,I have not changed the filters well over a year,could this be the cause and I do run GFO. HELP ME!

thanks disc1,should I try to give it time until I water change with the new filtered water or kill the cyano bacteria with the slime remover.

I would wait and give the GFO and filtered water some time. The chemical red slime removers have been known to crash tanks, and the cyanobacteria tends to return quickly if there's an underlying problem.

thanks bertoni,appreciate your feedback. Read in sprungs book that to avoid using antibiotics in a reef tank,they are talking about the slimer remover. The DI has not been changed,I am suspecting the last stage of my RO and just ordered some new carbon and sediment filter from BRS,cant wait to flush the whole system out. I never had problems with my red cyano before,this is the first time.

If the cause of cyano is your RODI, then the DI stage is probably depleted. That is where the majority of phosphate is going to get pulled out.

thanks everyone,so cyano can be reversed then even if its in your system now,will focus on increasing skimming and water change.

it can reverse sure with a little time and water changes, just remember your rocks are like sponges, they will soak up phosphates/nutrients so even in you have everything under control now or plan to, the rocks will leach it back to the water so it could take time.

Back