red mangroves VS. Chaeto

mangroves are largely for aesthetics, like some of the more delicate macroalgaes. If you're looking for something to sponge up nutrients, you'll want chaeto instead.

Hmmm......

Hmmm......

mangroves are largely for aesthetics, like some of the more delicate macroalgaes. If you're looking for something to sponge up nutrients, you'll want chaeto instead.

I use a bunch of mangroves in my refugium and they grow like crazy. Huge root systems too. It is my understanding that they do an excellent job of exporting nutrients. This makes sense since they are definitely feeding on something to be growing so vigorously.

Also using chaeto - and I have harvested many bags of it to give to others as it grows "like a weed" too.

I can't speak for the growth you are observing narwal, but in general mangroves are not known for growing "like crazy"; at least among the forums that I frequent.

Crazy Mangroves

Crazy Mangroves

I can't speak for the growth you are observing narwal, but in general mangroves are not known for growing "like crazy"; at least among the forums that I frequent.

You are correct. I suppose I should have qualified that with "growing like crazy compared to other mangroves I have seen or had myself".

I have them attached to styrofoam and they are submerged from about the bulb down. The roots are very dense and bushy and the leaves seem very healthy as well.

From my observations these guys seem to have grown in 2-3 months what I have seen and experienced in grown for 5-6 months. My water parameters are good now, but I did have a short period where the nitrates were a bit high. Maybe this spurred the growth - but they certainly weren't on the high side for more than 4-5 days.

Back